Notifications
Clear all

Need an honest critique...

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@cyn-eye-cal)
Topic starter  

Here is the deal, I've been playing guitar for about ten years, and I have been singing for a couple months. I am interested in the alternative rock genre, but I have been trying to record softer songs to really put forth my vocal abilities.

I recorded an acoustic cover of 'Orestes' by A Perfect Circle, one of my favorites by that band. This is out of my style of singing, so it really shows my tone, etc...

I need brutally honest opinions, I am looking to start a band and I am wondering if my vocals have potential to be the lead for one.

I can't record the entire song because my pop filter can't handle the higher ranges... but I'll post questions on how to improve that in the proper place.

Anyways, here is the link:

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=1102154&t=4637

Make sure you click 'Play Song' on the right, a new window will open.

ANY feedback is much appreciated, good or bad. Rip it apart though, and tell me where I can improve... I'll also post the complete track once I fix my pop-filter problems.

Thanks in advance!

(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member

Hi Cyn-eye-cal,

I think this recording sounds nice, and your voice is perfect for the song. Do I think you can handle lead vocal duties--hell yeah! No problem at all. Your voice has good tone, and you pull off some nice, tasty vocal licks around the melody. You've got talent! :D (You do drench things with reverb, but I kinda like that sound.)

I don't get the part about the pop filter stopping you from recording the rest of the song. :? I mean, how can a filter standing between you and the mic stop you from recording something??? Pop filters are designed to eliminate plosives, not to keep sounds from getting through to the mic. Perhaps this is a terminology problem?

Best,
Jersey Jack

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I agree with Jack, your voice sounds fine at least on this song. I like the song it seems you were playing it at a slower tempo than the original but maybe not.

Do you have anything recorded that you really have to stretch your voice on? You do a have a good tone to your voice so you'll have no problems there.

What type of music will you be playing Alt? Acoustic?

I think you'll find that some songs will sond great and others not so good it's a matter of finding the songs that work for you.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@cyn-eye-cal)
Topic starter  

Hi Cyn-eye-cal,

I think this recording sounds nice, and your voice is perfect for the song. Do I think you can handle lead vocal duties--hell yeah! No problem at all. Your voice has good tone, and you pull off some nice, tasty vocal licks around the melody. You've got talent! :D (You do drench things with reverb, but I kinda like that sound.)

I don't get the part about the pop filter stopping you from recording the rest of the song. :? I mean, how can a filter standing between you and the mic stop you from recording something??? Pop filters are designed to eliminate plosives, not to keep sounds from getting through to the mic. Perhaps this is a terminology problem?

Best,
Jersey Jack

Hey Jersey Jack,

Thank you so much for the feedback! I really need that to help me at this point. So, thanks again.

About the pop filter... It sucks. Its not the fact sound isn't getting to the mic, its the fact that on the playback - the higher ranges are terribly distorted. I am new to vocal recording, so maybe I don't understand the concept of a pop-filter fully yet, but they are designed to normalize that immediate spike in DBs, are they not?? :?:

I'll record the full track right away, and I'll have one version with reverb and one without... so it doesn't sound like I'm hiding anything. Then maybe you can hear the quality of the recording and give me tips on how to improve my set-up for the higher ranges.

Once again, thanks for your time!

ReplyQuote
(@cyn-eye-cal)
Topic starter  

I agree with Jack, your voice sounds fine at least on this song. I like the song it seems you were playing it at a slower tempo than the original but maybe not.

Do you have anything recorded that you really have to stretch your voice on? You do a have a good tone to your voice so you'll have no problems there.

What type of music will you be playing Alt? Acoustic?

I think you'll find that some songs will sond great and others not so good it's a matter of finding the songs that work for you.
I've find my voice is extremely versatile. I can do the louder rock songs, with heavy screaming, and the lighter songs with high octave ranges. Unfortunately, my set-up makes for ugly playback, like I've tried to explain to Jersey Jack. I will defintely post something that shows more range A.S.A.P.

Thanks for the feedback, cnev.

ReplyQuote
(@nathan080)
Estimable Member

I was a little skeptical when you said you were gonna cover A Perfect Circle, seeing as Maynard Keenan has such an amazing soothing voice... But then when I heard you sing, I had to do a double take (or double listen).

Your voice quiet simply, is great. This is not a song that shows off your range, but your resonance and tone is outstanding. I've heard tons of decent bands with singers A LOT worse than you. So you should be able to do that no problem what so ever.

I would actually like to hear some more of your range, not so I can give you advice, just cause i liked it that much! Post some more!

Nath

From Your Influence...
http://www.overplay.com/BandProfile.aspx?BandId=e78b497f-4f31-4182-8659-e8b6fa91d582

http://www.youtube.com/user/FromYourInfluence

ReplyQuote