Clear all

off-days

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@woekitten)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

i am a pretty good singer and usually i can stay in tune and be able to control my voice.
however, there are some days that are just "off". that means i get out of tune more, and the general sound of my voice doesn't sound good, as well as the lack of good control over my voice.
i find that this problem goes away when i stop singing for a day or two... but i'd really like to know what causes it and how can i prevent it from happening? i have to sing almost every day!
does anyone else experience this problem? what do you do to fix it?

thanks!
woekitten

(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

In a single word congestion. Every one has varying amounts of mucus in their upper respiratory system all the time. The more mucus the worse you sing. Really not a lot you can do about it. I'd advise against using decongestants, they'll dry up the mucus but also will dry up everything else. You'll be robbing Peter to pay Paul. Some things that will help your voice, stay hydrated, drink 8, 8 ounce glasses of water a day. Use ear wash to keep your ear canals clear. Hearing is very important to singing! I sometimes make my ears pop before singing, by holding my nose and trying to blow out it. Sometimes we just have to live with the fact that we're having an off day and do the best we can.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

In a single word congestion. Every one has varying amounts of mucus in their upper respiratory system all the time. The more mucus the worse you sing. Really not a lot you can do about it. I'd advise against using decongestants, they'll dry up the mucus but also will dry up everything else. You'll be robbing Peter to pay Paul. Some things that will help your voice, stay hydrated, drink 8, 8 ounce glasses of water a day. Use ear wash to keep your ear canals clear. Hearing is very important to singing! I sometimes make my ears pop before singing, by holding my nose and trying to blow out it. Sometimes we just have to live with the fact that we're having an off day and do the best we can.
I'm not much of a singer but this is one thing I do know. If you want to help prevent that extra congestion and hence an off day, especially on a day of performing, avoid drinking milk and all other milk products - cheese, even chocolate. Don't know why but drinking milk causes your body to produce phlegm.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

mmmm phlegm

Could be you are tired, lack energy are slouching.

Go ahead and have a bad day.

ReplyQuote