Clear all

Reaching high notes like Daron Malakian

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@invictious)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

How the damn hell does he reach those high notes? I am a guy, just like him, and I have tried and tried, and yet I could not reach beyong that E right above middle C.
besides falsetto, what else can I do besides practicing everyday, if that helps push my voice higher

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

what else can I do besides practicing everyday

Thats like asking how can you play like <insert your favorite God-like guitar player here> without practicing guitar everyday.

Take vocal lessons and practice everyday. Be ready for the fact that not everyone has the same body parts and so you might not ever reach his range. Accept the voice you have and create a style around it, while increasing your range so you can be better in your own style.

Good luck to ya

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

I've never heard of the person your talking about, but range is something your pretty much born with. You can develop and expand it some but not much. I'm with geoo take voice lessons and develop what you have. You may or may not ever be able to hit that high note, instruction would help you find out.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I am always trying to increase my range. I have been working on it for months with a little progress. It takes months or even longer to see big results.

Tim is correct. Everybody is born with their own set of vocal chords. Some people have a deep voice like Johnny Cash or Bruce Springsteen, some people have a high voice like Elton John or Geddy Lee from Rush.

So, you might not ever be able to sing this high. But you can increase your range.

One of the most helpful things is to yodel. Yep, yodel. Try yodeling this E note you can sing and quickly float up to the fourth or A. You do not push for the A, you FLOAT gently and very quickly to it. It will be very weak at first, just a whisper. But as you practice this each day, you will find it easier to hit this note with more strength and sustain as well. I have tried this technique and it really works well.

Practice yawning. This is the proper way your throat should feel when hitting high notes. The cheeks should be raised as well.

You just want to hit these high notes very briefly and quickly at first.

Practice these techniques every day. Do not force or push. Lightly float (don't want you to strain your vocal chords). It might take months but you will see improvement. These techniques really work.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote