Clear all

Probably the worst slam I have heard

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@threegtrz)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Several years ago this gal I work with and I were listening to a record by a local songwriter. The tunes were okay but there was something about the singing that wasn't right and I couldn't put my finger on it. I said as much to her and she described the guy's singing thus:

"He sounds like Weird Al trying to be serious."

What a burn!

I'm not sure what I want to sound like, but since then I'm sure what I DON'T want to sound like.

(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

Ouch! :twisted: Thats a serious burn there alright!

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I actually saw Wierd Al several years ago. I took my daughter and beleive me he sings better than alot of other people I've heard.

It was actually a pretty entertaining show.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

IMO, Weird Al is a very nice singer. Listen to 'You're pitiful' or 'Ebay' or 'Don't download this song' and you can know.

Moreover, imitating others is not easy and on top of that making a parody, since people compare you with the original one invariably.

Anyone who thinks Weird Al is not a good singer probably doesn't know what is good singing afterall.

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

IMO, Weird Al is a very nice singer. Listen to 'You're pitiful' or 'Ebay' or 'Don't download this song' and you can know.

Moreover, imitating others is not easy and on top of that making a parody, since people compare you with the original one invariably.

Anyone who thinks Weird Al is not a good singer probably doesn't know what is good singing afterall.

I agree that Weird Al is a good singer, but I think that making fun of people and making parodies is easier than coming up with a fully original work. I'll also go ahead and say that I think Weird Al is particularly good at both of these things as well, in other words just because it's easier to make fun of people and parody existing music, doesn't mean that anyone can do it and be successful. You could compare the number of parody artists getting played nationally on the radio with original music artists, but I think it's MUCH harder to get radio play of a parody so if your name isn't weird al you probably can't get it played... I think MTV and other video options are the only reason Weird Al gets played at all, gotta have a funny video to go with the song I think (which gets him played on MTV).

ReplyQuote