Clear all

Can't get the volume up!

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys, first post I've made in this section asking for advice!

OK, so over the last few months (actually, about 6 I think!) I've been trying to sing better, and I am managing to sing "in tune" much better than I used to. Hooray! :lol:

HOWEVER!

I've also been doing some work on the whole screaming/shouting/rough voice area, mostly practicing songs by bands like Killswitch Engage & Mudvayne. Now, I seem to be able to get the rough, raw sound these guys have, and have found the way that doesn't hurt or strain my vocal chords (by pushing more air through), but, in what seems to be the opposite of the goal here, there's very little volume when I sing this way. Any attempt at raising the volume, and the whole thing just falls apart and I get my regular voice again!

Any thoughts? Is this just something I have to overcome through more practice? (I can tell that my voice is stonger than it was a few months ago as now I can sing this way for a good 30 minutes before I get tired). Or is it actually due to the fact that I'm singing without any equipment, and these guys record through massive amps to get the volume up?

Cheers in advance! :D

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Sounds like you're singing acoustically and everybody else has marshall stacks...that could be a problem. Is that what's going on, or did I read this wrong? I would think the cure for that would be a nice set of headphones in the studio.

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

i think youll find that the screaming or those bands is quite different to what we can do, i think i no what you mean about when its quiet it sounds like them, but when you try and make it louder i find the sound ends up being a high falsetto that isnt distorted. its because those screams come from over powering your vocal chords, high blast of air pushed hard, and if you can do it properly its actually quite loud. you probably can cheat and sing the 'quiet scream' into a mic but its not how they do it. screaming hurts, and will do damage to your vocal folds over time, you cant get around that.

sometimes when your singing quiet it sounds crackly and awesome, then you cough and you lose it again... :( :P screaming is naturally loud...

ReplyQuote