Clear all

Vocal Sample two for Critique

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

(@mhdtv)

Your vocals are too breathy. It's better to just belt them out loud n' proud, instead of singing softly.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Well, singing acapella is tough. Singing acapella to yourself without an audience is tougher. So....

I noticed that you stay on pitch within sections, but because you have no music to reference with your ear you stray. Still you stay relatively in tune with yourself.

You aren't singing to anyone. It's like a golf swing or a tennis swing, you've got to follow through. When you start singing with the mental end point of your voice being the mic in front of you you can't hit the ball very far. Try doing the same thing but close your eyes and picture yourself singing to a crowd. Sing out.

You have a very nice tone to your voice, but sometimes it gets swallowed and nasal. Work on releasing that tone. Think about the voice coming up from the gut, freely through the throat and up and out somewhere in front of your eyeballs. Try not to control it as much as free it. Relax.

Speaking of relax, you are very nervous. I can tell. Bravely done though putting the recording out. Singing is mostly mental. I could sing opera right from the start. When I was asked how I did it I told my teacher, "I just pretend I'm an opera star." She said she wished all of her students could pretend so well. So show no fear.

All in all I think you have a great deal of raw material to work with. A little practice, a little experience and you'll be great. Don't let anyone put you down, you have got the stuff. A year from now you'll see.

See if you can find yourself a voice teacher. You've got a ton of potential.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

wow. thanks a lot Nick!

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Do exactly what Nick said!!! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'll just pretend I'm all the great singers that I like all rolled into one!!!

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

There you go! :D That's perfect! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I stumbled onto this site again. and there's pearlthekat. you have a really nice voice. incredeible potential. Nick said it.
keep it up. :D

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Props to you Jane, singing a-capella with nothing to guide you is so tough I'm already impressed with what you showed. Why not get some chords going on the guitar and sing over that? My hands are kinda tied right now but I wouldn't mind working with you on a song when I get the chance. :D

Keep it up!

ReplyQuote