Notifications
Clear all

Singing with acoustic guitar unplugged - Question for u guys

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@mm142)
Topic starter  

I'm having problems understanding my voice - People tell me I have a very unique voice and that's my problem, I have no model to follow. Just a little background - I'm 20, a guy, and most songs I listen to (alternative rock) are difficult for me to sing, because most these singers are tenors (I believe I'm a baritone). When I play my guitar and sing, I feel like my voice is too low to be heard. Yet when I sing an octive higher, people can hear me (same volume, no change in that).

So I've been trying to work on my high voice but I can't seem to find the power to make it grungy/muddy/distorted (it's too "clean" for alternative rock). Is there anything I can do to make my high voice strong and grungy?

-Thanks in advance everyone

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

nothin wrong with singing deep. you ever listen to cake? that guy barely sings at all, but his voice is deep. plenty of rnb singers with voices.

anyway, the only things you can do to get your voice distorted are bad for your voice. smoking, drinking, singing too hard and straining your vocal chords. have fun. :) two cigs and i'm bob dylan. 10 and i'm tom waits.
or you could run your mic through a pedal or use a distortion mic.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I have too low a range to sing a lot of stuff that I like, but I transpose things to as range where I'm comfortable. Blind Melon's No Rain is a good example, as Shannon Hoon's voice was very high - I can sing it exactly an octave lower but that's too low to sound good, or powerful. What I do with that is transpose the guitar up and the vocals down so that they meet in the middle. It's basically the guitar up 5 semi-tones and the vocals down 7 semi-tones - 5 + 7 is 12 (one octave), so they both match up again, if you follow?

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@love-tractor)
Eminent Member

If you want an example of a high and grungy voice, listen to Neil Young's Weld album.

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

mm142
Don´t try to change your voice, be glad to have a deep voice.
You can always learn/train yourself to sing higher notes, but never learn to sing lower.
If you listen to a recording of your voice, you will probably find it higher than you hear yourself in the head.
At least that is my experience.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@aussie-rocker)
Eminent Member

I have a baritone voice too. Perhaps even bass baritone

Originally I was annoyed because I couldn't sing all the pop stuff.

However, I'm happy these days. Deeper is cool.

I change the key of a song to suit my voice. (Not the bloody guitarist)

Elvis was a baritone. He just had a very good range too.

ReplyQuote