Clear all

The opposite...

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@guitarded)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone, first post here. :)

Well, it seems every beginner here wants to be able to scream and sound raspy. I, on the other hand, have the opposite problem. I don't feel pain, and I think I'm not straining anything when I sing, but lately my voice sounds hoarse and raspy. Any suggestions how to get rid of this?

(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

Hi, and welcome to GN! :D

I had a few intial thoughts when I read your post;

First and foremost (and sorry if this sounds patronising!) but get your throat checked by a doctor, you might just have a mild cold or something.

Second thought; you say you don't *think* you are straining (and I'm guessing that you would be able to tell if you were) but you could try taking it easy for a short time and see if your voice clears up a bit, that way you'd know better.

Thirdly; there are cases where the more you sing, the stronger you voice gets and so it will change (I know this is the case of the lead singer of Stereophonics, who said in an interview that after being on tour and singing a lot, his voice becomes far more raspy than usual).

Fourthly; when you sing, are you doing decent warm-ups and not just going in "cool-throated", as this could damage your vocal chords (which you REALLY don't want to do, as once damaged I don't think you can fully recover, hence why Screamers suffer from lots more problems than regular singers).

Lastly, you could try some cough medicine, throat pastells or drinking lots of water whenever you are singing.

I don't really sing myself, this is just info that I've picked up from other GN members during my time here; I'm sure you'll get more responses from proper singers!

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

First see a doctor. Next join a choir or community chorus (lots of free lessons) or take voice lessons.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

I'd say if it hurts don't do it. Take a rest for a while.

ReplyQuote