Clear all

The Singers Accent...

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@jminor)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Isn't it strange how many people sing with an American type accent... Even if they don't normally speak with the same accent.

I've always found this to be strange.

I guess it has a lot to do with prevalence of American pop music in western culture. I don't know what else would explain it.

Those who don't use the American voice are less likely to break into the highly competitive U.S. market.. although there are exceptions..

I've lived in Scotland aswell and noticed the same thing as here in Australia.

Sometimes I'd hear a singer and could swear they were American, but when i'd hear them speak, they would have the same accent as me... But usually the difference is more subtle, but still quite noticable.

To me, those who sing in their native accent have a wee bit more of my respect because they are staying true to themselves, and this can help to make them more successful on home soil.. I guess it depends on the fan base they are trying to appeal to, and the level that this "singers" accent is ingrained into them.

Agree/Disagree/Thoughts??

J

Insert random quote here

(@progressions)
Reputable Member

It was certainly the case with the Beatles, they were so inspired by the American Rock & Roll records that they made it a point to adopt an American-style accent early on. When they started branching out creatively they started to relax a bit and let their Liverpudlian accents show through occasionally :)

Jeff

Isaac Priestley: World Racketeering Squad
http://www.progressions.org/
http://www.youtube.com/worldracketeer

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I've always thought that accent most often disappears when singing (I know it doesn't make much sense, but hey). There are people out there who are completely incapable of speaking without an accent, but who sing with barely a trace (Abba spring to mind, various Irish singers). I think if you hear any more than a trace of accent, it's put there deliberately - the singer from The Cranberries, for instance, lays on the Irish accent so thick that it just comes across as put on for effect. I have very little respect for gimmickery :)

I could be being harsh though, I sometimes notice myself singing with a bit of a drawl and have to put a bit of concentration into removing it :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@blind_lemon_pye)
Trusted Member

This thing about the american accent seems to be true, because an american friend of mine told me recently that she noticed that french singers always exagerate their american accent when they sing in english. And I noticed also that my french accent is less marked when I sing, compared to when I speak, although I don't make deliberate efforts to make it disapear.

If I'm not in the band
Don't mean I'm square
Mercury Rev - Car Wash Air

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I once saw an interview with an Austrailian country singer that had recently gotten a record deal in Nashville, here in the US. The interviewer asked her the same question because she had a very obvious Aussie accent until she sang and suddenly it disappeared.

She said that when you are learning the songs and hits of the style of music you are playing, you want to sound like your heros and copy them. I guess it would be much like those of us that play guitar and try to copy the sounds or solos of our guitar heros.

I for one would love to adopt either an Aussie or Brit accent. The women LOVE it.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@jminor)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've always thought that accent most often disappears when singing (I know it doesn't make much sense, but hey). There are people out there who are completely incapable of speaking without an accent, but who sing with barely a trace (Abba spring to mind, various Irish singers). I think if you hear any more than a trace of accent, it's put there deliberately - the singer from The Cranberries, for instance, lays on the Irish accent so thick that it just comes across as put on for effect. I have very little respect for gimmickery :)

I could be being harsh though, I sometimes notice myself singing with a bit of a drawl and have to put a bit of concentration into removing it :)

Singing is essentially talking in melody.. IMO it's less gimmicky to keep your true voice and not dilute it for other's consumption.. Isn't that what being a true "artist" is all about ?

To each his own, i guess.

J

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Singing is essentially talking in melody.. IMO it's less gimmicky to keep your true voice and not dilute it for other's consumption.. Isn't that what being a true "artist" is all about ?

To each his own, i guess.

J
We're saying the same thing about the intentions, we just disagree on what 'natural' is. I'm only basing my opinion on my own experience and gut-feeling about whether people are putting accents on or not, so I could well be wrong... :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

some people tell me i sound british when i sing sometimes and im american haha so i dunno, i dont do it on purpose.

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@zacharias)
Estimable Member

It has alot to do with your influences, just like you inheret your accent from those who taught you to speak, you usually somewhat do the same with those who taught you to sing. I'm Canadian, and we do have an accent just a very faint one in comparison to Americans, sometimes its more pronounced, Neil Young for example is one of the only canadian artists that I know of that still keeps his noticeable speech patterns.

Zacharias Wolf

ReplyQuote