Clear all

Voice overs.

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@saber)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm not sure what tppic this belongs in, so I just put it here.

I was wondering how they do voice over, where an artist records their voice then plays over it to give it a fuller sound. I know alot of bands that do it, particulairly queen, but when I tryed to record my voice and play it over itself it sounded really odd. How do they get the effect they do?

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Try giving the second voice a minimal delay.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@saber)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hmm. I will, thanks.

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

ReplyQuote
(@chromebeast)

Are you singing a new track or duplicating the original?

CB

ReplyQuote
(@saber)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I tried it both ways. Singing it again sounded better, but it still sounded very odd.

ReplyQuote
(@chromebeast)

I would agree to try a little delay on one of the tracks to offset it slighty. Also, try panning each track - one to about 10-11 o'clock and the other to 2-3 o'clock. Maybe even wider if it sounds better. That should help seperate some of the frequencies which give that weird sound, or at least I think that is what it is.

Alot of artist also sing octaves lower than the main track and put it lower in volume in the mix, Creed, Ozzy and Guns & Roses come to mind. It's not a good thing to do all the time, unless that is what you are going for, but it does create an "ominous" feel.

CB

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

If you re-sing it make 100% sure that you sing it the same way. Just as with a guitar solo you need to really know which notes goes where, and how they connect. If you have a 'good idea' of how it sounds it won't be enough and the difference between the two tracks will sound pretty funky. If you duplicate a track try EQ'ing it to get it to sound somewhat different. Finally make sure the placement is correct, two identical tracks with only a minimal delay between will get a weird flanging effect over it.

ReplyQuote