Notifications
Clear all

Yet another hows my singing thread

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@prime311)
Topic starter  

I recently started trying to sing the right way. I quit smoking a little over a year ago after like 15 years and I noticed my range gradually increasing as I sang(if you could call it that) in my car. This stuff isn't perfect pitch or anything, but that I think I can fix. Or maybe its egregiously out of pitch and I just don't know it. Curious what others think of the tone as I really don't think I'm a good judge of my own voice. I'm considering taking lessons and would like to eventually sing in a band, but not sure if its even worth it.

http://soundcloud.com/prime311/

Thanks!

<edit>
Taking out the 1 track for the profile instead since I keep changing stuff. Of course no responses in a week can't bode well.

(@hobson)
Noble Member

Welcome to GN.

You're not egregiously out of pitch. Just a little out of pitch sometimes, especially when you go to a note that is quite a bit higher.

There's hope for you so don't give up. You do have a sense of pitch that will get better with practice. I suggest that you don't spend time on acapella singing until you're a little farther along. That might help with the pitch.

You have a nice voice to start with and lessons will help you improve. Whether the lessons are worth it is something that you'll have to decide. Just know that you can't go to a lesson once a week and hope for great things. You have to commit to practicing. So if you have the time and the money and the desire, go for it. A decent teacher will be able to evaluate your voice and tell you what you need to work on and how to do it.

And congratulations on giving up smoking! Unless you're going for the gravelly sound and don't mind running out of breath, a singer should never smoke.

Renee

ReplyQuote
(@prime311)
Topic starter  

Hey thanks for the advice. I love singing and practice for something like 2 hours a day at least. I would probably practice more but I don't want to bother my family too much. I started trying to sing correctly a little over a month ago, and i must say that it has turned out to be a lot more challenging then I expected. I kind of figured once I learned the right technique everything would just sort of fall into place, but I am always finding pitch to be a major challenge and even after singing the same song 30, 40, whatever times I still don't hit everything right. I think that will all be taken care of with practice though, I feel like I've come really far since I started already. My biggest concern right now is just the tone of my voice though, I don't know if I just don't like the sound of my own voice or if it really just doesn't sound good, but if my tone sucks theres not really anything I can do about it. Thanks again!

ReplyQuote
(@staffan)
Estimable Member

... /My biggest concern right now is just the tone of my voice though, I don't know if I just don't like the sound of my own voice or if it really just doesn't sound good, but if my tone sucks theres not really anything I can do about it./...

Many people seem to think their own voice sounds "weird" or "bad" but I think that has a lot to do with the fact that you´re maybe not used to hearing your voice as it actually sounds to other people, so when you first hear yourself in a recording you´re baffled - what, do i sound like that - sick!

When it comes to voice-tones, I think there´s a tone for everybody and people have different tastes. Some people might not like your voice, while others might love it. Just think of Bob Dylan - I´m sure you know lots of people who hates his nasal voice, but you might also know just as many who loves it.

If you like to sing - then just sing, some are bound to love you and some will hate you (particularly your neighbors :) )!

AAAFNRAA
- Electric Don Quixote -

ReplyQuote