Notifications
Clear all

C#m7 or E6th - tune up or down

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@joe10)
Topic starter  

OK, this is almost embarassing to ask, and given the number of high e strings I've broken (Well, only one) I think I know the answer...

I'm tryign to sort out some Hank Sr. songs, so am trying to tune into C#m7, which I believe is:

low to high
E G# B C# E G#
(though, I could be wrong)

I'm just wonderign which way to push the high strings...

I assume it's

^ ^ ^
E G# B C# E G#

but that's gotta be rough on the neck, not to mention the strings...

thouhgts? advice? Experience?

thanks a lot!!
/Joe

(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

The first 'classic' Cm7/E6 was simply an open-E tuning with the second string raised from a B to a C#. Then it developed to the one most used now - C# E G# B C# E, low to high (you will need a special set for this tuning).

In Western Swing some players prefer to have a 3rd on top, which will be a G#, and Don Helms who played with Hank Sr tuned to A C# E G# B C# E G# - a sort of hybrid between E6 and Amaj9.

So for a 6-string you're definitely on the right track, and my choice for string - on a lap steel - would be:

G# - .011
E - .015
C# - .017
B - .018
G# - .024 (wound)
E - .030

On a regular electric I would go for a lighter gauge to save the neck. Try starting with a .009 or even a .008 (it will sound awfully thin though, personally I don't like the sound of anything tuned higher than E on my lap steels.....).

Steinar

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@joe10)
Topic starter  

Wow - thanks for the fast RE - I just found this community - it looks very active!

and thanks for the strign set segest...

so, those skinny high strings seem to mean I should raise them - 6, 5 4 semi-tones respctively (low to high)
(my little upward carrots shifted left - I assumed the base strings stayed the same or dropped, and the 3 highs got cranked higher.)

Thanks again - I'm a little green to some of the more esoteric tunings.

/Joe

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

Joe, the sixth string in this tuning would be the same as the E on string four, second fret, in regular tuning. Then you can take it from there...

Another alternative, if you want that 3rd on the first string, is to tune to C6. That would be A C G A C E low to high, with the low A being the same as the fifth string in standard tuning and the high E identical to standard. This tuning will give you the same intervals as your E6, but with a deeper 'voice'. It's often confusing for regular guitarists to get used to though, with the "E" chord being at the fourth fret, etc.....

Steinar

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

with your new tuning, establish your bearings as Steinar says.
knowing where the familar chords are now will make things easier and more fun.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@joe10)
Topic starter  

Ah, that's really helpfull! - thanks to both of you.
Joe, the sixth string in this tuning would be the same as the E on string four, second fret, in regular tuning. Then you can take it from there...

Another alternative, if you want that 3rd on the first string, is to tune to C6. That would be A C G A C E low to high, with the low A being the same as the fifth string in standard tuning and the high E identical to standard. This tuning will give you the same intervals as your E6, but with a deeper 'voice'. It's often confusing for regular guitarists to get used to though, with the "E" chord being at the fourth fret, etc.....

Steinar

ReplyQuote