DDADAD tuning

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
10.7 K Views
(@reynold)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

DDADAD tuning..... while doing this tuning ( creed uses this tuning ) the third string which is G breaks, im paranoid about how to get this tuning....somebody help me pls.

" Take what you can from your dreams and make them real as anything " - Dave Matthews.

(@davidhodge)

Usually tunings are listed from low string to high, so in DDADAD the G string (listed fourth) should be tuned down to D. Shouldn't be breaking on you.

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

For open D5 tuning, you might try (from EADGBe, low to high) DADADD instead. This way, you're tuning down three strings, and tuning up the B by only 1-1/2 steps. I believe that's how Mark Tremonti does it.

You can also use DADDAD, in which case you'd tune the G string down to D as David suggests. If it seems too floppy, try using a heavier gauge G string, like an unwound 22.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@reynold)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

i dont understand. plz make it clear to me. in order to do that tuning tremonti uses, u have to tighten the g string up to a , and while doin that it brakes. i badly need that tuning. plz help.

" Take what you can from your dreams and make them real as anything " - Dave Matthews.

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

What gauge do you use for the 3rd string? A .022 wound string should handle being tuned up to A on an acoustic guitar. If you're playing electric then a plain .017 should work fine.

Steinar

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Sorry, I mispoke above. You are correct; G string UP to A.

Where does the string break? At the nut, the bridge or somewhere in between? You may need to smooth your nut slot or bridge. As Steinar says, the strings should be able to handle that tuning.

You can also tune to CGCGCC and use a capo get DADADD, but you'll likely need much heavier E strings to tune down to C.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@reynold)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks guys :D

ReplyQuote