Clear all

lifting the nut

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have a cheap acoustic that I don't use anymore because it has a plastic nut and the 2nd and 3rd strings have eaten through the nut causing a buzz. I want to set it up just for slide and have been told that you can put stuff under the nut to lift your action. What is the best way to go about this, and what is the best thing to use? I like a nice low action on my guitars, and now that I'm getting a new acoustic for christmas :D, I want to be able to have one guitar that I can leave in alternate tunings and put some big heavy strings on.

Anyway, I will quit rambling now,

Later,

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

Buy this extension nut from Elderly and you'll be in business.

Steinar

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Just realize that you're making a lap slider if you raise the nut. Won't work for solo bottleneck playing, because you need to be able to fret for that. It'll work for playing single note runs, that sort of thing, but you won't be able to play a basic blues shuffle.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

what slide I've played has been lap style, and the guy that I used to work with that taught me the wonders of open g (and alternate tunings period), played mostly lap slide. I would play a basic twelve bar shuffle (fretted with fingers) on my acoustic and he would play over me with his dobro. At the time, I was just beginning guitar and it was awesome to be able to play with somebody else, especially since he was so much better than I was.

Oh, and that extension nut looks like just what I need, thanks.

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote