DIY Lapsteel, slip sliding

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 MCH
(@mch)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I thought I'd give the lapsteel guitar a try; so I built one. This is a 22 1/2" scale. The top is 3/4" mahogany and the back is 1 1/2" clear pine. The fretboard (no frets) consists of oak and walnut inlays (1/4" thick) for positioning. I made the nut and bridge from 1/2" copper pipe (mahogany dowel inside) flattened on side. The strings are about 3/8"+ above the fretboard. The strings are string thru using purpleheart ferruls. The bridge is moveable to get proper intonation if needed. Currently I have a humbucker with about 8K ohm output; may eventually put in a P-90 (humbucker size). I'm using D'Addario Chrome flat wounds .016 to .056 http://www.daddario.com/DADProdDetail.aspx?CodaID=557&ID=1&Class=AADA (I replaced the top 2 strings with .016 and .019).

Now I'll have to learn how to make some pleasing sound with it.

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That looks great!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

Very nice job. If you want to replace the humbucker with a P-90 I'd recommend the Duncan PhatCat - I have that pickup in my Lap King Rodeo and love it. Sized like a humbucker so it'll fit right in..

Steinar

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@witchdoctor)
Estimable Member

I love everything on it except the humbucker. Never been able to get a tone I liked with one. The styling is great, though, very original and tasteful.

ReplyQuote