Clear all

Drone tunings

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@briank)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm a big fan of droning, eastern, raga music (and pretty much anything psychedelic 8)). Led Zeppelin's "Black Mountainside" is a good example of what I like. Does anyone know of any cool fingerpicking songs that I could learn to play that incorporates droning tunings? Or any acoustic guitarists that made albums with this type of playing?

"All I see is draining me on my Plastic Fantastic Lover!"

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

LOTS of Delta blues is played in Open G, with a constant rhythm on the open low G string.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@phangeaux)
Estimable Member

.... Does anyone know of any cool fingerpicking songs that I could learn to play that incorporates droning tunings? Or any acoustic guitarists that made albums with this type of playing?

I like that idea, but try this: just find a tuning you like and make up your own stuff as you go. I think these tunings are very well suited for just making stuff up as you go.

Oh, I remember that 'Plastic Fantastic Lover' song by Jeffereson Airplane, that was one of my favorite songs on the album because I was into electric guitar, all the psychedelia back then and that song was leading edge for it's time.

I don't think I have heard that song since about 1969

Phangeaux
BadBadBlues

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I used to use D A D D A D quite a bit.
Excellent for that Stephen Stills type sound.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Jimmy Page does "Black Mountainside" in DADGAD tuning I believe. I picked up on this tuning last week at a guitar workshop. Still learning some chord positions & stuff, but already came up with a tune myself. phangeaux is right, it's easy to come up with stuff. I'm still hunting for a good version of the Page tune. I'll post it if I get a good one.

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote