Clear all

Fender VG

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

What do you slide players think? alternate tunings at the flip of a switch.
not to mention all the different pickup tones as well.
https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32204

#4491....

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I was really interested in the Line 6 acoustic when it came out for that very reason. I was playing lots of open tunings at the time; not so much different ones, but like 3 but with different capo positions.

This was for live performance and I didn't want to be surrounded with guitar stands and like 5 guitars all pre-set so there wouldn't be any pause in the performance.

One problem I did read about was that you'd have to 'not listen' to the acoustic sound of your instrument while you had it in another digital tuning - like you'd have to make sure your amp/monitor was loud enough to drown out the acoustic sound - because it would have the possibility of throwing you off while you were playing. Simple example would be strumming all the strings open: say you had it set to open G tuning, but you'd hear the strings all ringing in standard tuning and the open G coming out the amp.

In an electric band, live and loud, it wouldn't be much of a problem I guess, but in an acoustic duo like I was in, it might've, so I got it to where I was implying open tunings in standard tuning, with just a few capo shifts. On a 6-string it's pretty easy, but you have to be a bit more careful with a 12-string, as far as getting the capo just right (in the few seconds between songs) so everything doesn't go out of pitch.

Mostly though, I just record stuff, so I can take all day to tune the 12 (or any other guitar) if I want ;)

The pickup combos and stuff are neat though; I'm still waiting for someone to just simply come up with a 7-position blade switch for a Strat though; if you've never heard them, the neck+middle+bridge, and neck+bridge combos on a Strat sound really sweet, but I could only get it (back when I modded my Strat) by adding a 3 position toggle to the 5 position blade. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I'm totally gassin' for a VG Strat! I love the idea of being able to switch tunings in an instant. Can't wait for one to show up at my local guitar store so I can check it out. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote