Clear all

Hey everyone! Original instrumental Tuning D,F#,D,F#,A,C#

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@mitchellhopkins)
Topic starter  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYGMbf1dpgM
It's a song that came from having to watch people in my life who I love very much struggle, and being able to do nothing about it. PS glad to find a place of fellow alt tuning users. :)

Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

Welcome to the forums!

Most non-open alternate tunings seem pretty limited to me. DADGAD and Fripp's "new standard" tuning are exceptions. This one is interesting -- certainly effective in the YouTube performance -- and I may have to take it out for a test-drive....

How did you come up with this tuning? And did you have to change string gauges to make it work?

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

That's very nice!! :)

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@mitchellhopkins)
Topic starter  

Welcome to the forums!

Most non-open alternate tunings seem pretty limited to me. DADGAD and Fripp's "new standard" tuning are exceptions. This one is interesting -- certainly effective in the YouTube performance -- and I may have to take it out for a test-drive....

How did you come up with this tuning? And did you have to change string gauges to make it work?

Thanks for the comment. :) I use medium strings and have a pretty high action. I would say you would be fine with lights although the A string which is tuned down to a F will be pretty flimsy. You could move it up a half step if that helps. I wanted some type of 7th chord sound, and I also wanted to have two strings at the same note so i could play in octaves. Other than that i kinda just experimented. I will post other tunes. Almost all my stuff is done in alternate tunings.

ReplyQuote