Clear all

Honky Tonk Woman Open G-noob

24 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

OK so Ive ripped the low E string off my squire 51 and restrung, tuned to open G but it turns out I don't know diddly about playing any songs in open G. Thought I would start with this one..has anyone seen a good tab for it, I seem to be confused by the different ways of playing the song which should be relatively easy right? The intro is my biggest hurdle right now. I can figure out G,C,Csus4,D etc Any help greatly appreciated Vic? Roy? (I'm thinkin the Keefcaster plays this one) ANYBODY
Robbie

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Haven't played HTW for ages, but if I remember correctly, it's one of those songs where Keith uses a lot of added 4ths and 9ths to give 6/9th chords. Sounds complicated, but basically if you take a G chord - x00000 - in open tuning and add the 4th - C - on the 2nd string, and the 9th - A - on the 4th string, you'll turn a G chord into a C6/9 chord. It's mostly that shape added to open G, C D and A chords, I think....but I'd have to look it up to be sure. I think there are a couple of places, as well, where he just adds a 6th to the open chord like this....x00200, like you would in a blues shuffle.

Afterthought - I'm not sure (again!) but I think HTW was originally in open D? Same shapes apply if so, but moved across a fret towards the bottom (thickest) string, so it'd be - D, 000000 - G6/9, 020100. Like I said, I'd have to look it up - unless anyone knows better! Even so, you could still do it in open G.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Years ago my teacher tabbed it out for me in Open G, and I never did get it worked out. Wasn't the easiest thing around. If it was originally done in Open D, that would help explain it. :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Years ago my teacher tabbed it out for me in Open G, and I never did get it worked out. Wasn't the easiest thing around. If it was originally done in Open D, that would help explain it. :lol:
Open D eh???

I've never tried it in D but have very good luck in G.

Maybe 'cause I'm more partial to G.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

For some reason I've just never gotten that fond of Open G. Open D's my "standard tuning." (Or Open E, which is the same to me since I play alone.)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanx so far guys but am still at a loss for the intro etc. I do believe it is in G, most of the tabs are that way but as usual a lot of them are different. I am strumming to the rendition they did at Hyde Park I believe (utube) and G seems to be OK. Vic I will try the added notes as you suggest so if in open G to play an C chord I barre the fifth fret and then add in the 6th fret second string right/ and sometimes the 7th fret fourth string. and so on. Any other input appreciated. What I really should do is buy a COWBELL and let someone else do the guitar intro.
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah that was cool on SNL and this song does kick off with one before the drums cut in!!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

The Rolling Stones, Derek. Maybe a bit before your time - came out summer 1969. They also did a country version on the "Let It Bleed" album, but the rock version was the first single featuring the "new" guitarist, Mick Taylor. You could do worse than check out some of his slide work with the Stones - or indeed, any of their music between '68 and 74, which was their "golden age" for me. They're still great, but the albums they put out in that particular era were all killer, no filler.

BTW, the Wikipedia article on the song reckons it's in open G, but I'm still not sure....sounds more like open D to me. More later, you've got me curious now!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

This looks like a well-worked out tab..... http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/r/rolling_stones/honky_tonk_woman_ver2_tab.htm

although it has the disadvantage that you'd have to know the song inside out to get the timing down. It's got the main guitar in open G - looks like I was wrong about open D.

I'll try this a little later.

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Dereck. Mic Jagger will rock long after both you and he are in the grave.

don't mess with my Rolling Stones , man. just don't.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Vic thanx for the tab site. If you do give it a go I would appreciate your thoughts on it particularly the intro part. I did find one lesson on utube re the lick and it has a very hard bend in it. I find it very difficult to do!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90RRAaTanxw

Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I still think Mic Gagger is still too old to rock

Derek, you're probably about half MICK JAGGER's age, if that, and I'd bet real money you're nowhere near half as fit. His stamina's legendary - I bet he covers about a half-marathon every night running around stage, and that's despite all the toxins he's pumped into his system over the years. And unlike many popular singers of this era (coughMadonnacough) he doesn't mime on stage - he still runs around like a teenager, and doesn't even get out of breath.

And I bet you wish you had half of his money - half of one percent would do me! He doesn't HAVE to flog himself like he does, but he still carries on rocking at an age where most people would gladly settle for the zimmer frame, the pipe and slippers and the comfy armchair.

Mick might LOOK a bit wrinkly, but the guy's still a teenager at heart - and his fitness levels would put most of today's couch potato teenagers, whose only exercise is changing music channels with the remote or building up their finger strength with the current game console of choice, to shame.

Mick's a legend, and deservedly so - and long may he continue to be an object lesson in the art of growing old disgracefully!

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Vic thanx for the tab site. If you do give it a go I would appreciate your thoughts on it particularly the intro part. I did find one lesson on utube re the lick and it has a very hard bend in it. I find it very difficult to do!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90RRAaTanxw

Robbie

Robbie, a quick glance was more than enough - he's playing in standard tuning, look at the G chord - 320033 - he's fingering.
OK, done what I've got to do for the day, going to tune to open G and have a go at that tab.....

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah my dumb, I should have clued in when he said Em pentatonic scale, never even thought about him fingering the G chord.. No wonder it sounds like dog dooey to me when I try it!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

OK - tried the tab - doesn't sound too bad at all, in fact with the right amp settings it's pretty damn close. I tried just the part for guitar 1 - open G tuning, however, if you want to play a solo version, it sounds a bit thin - more like you need chords, with a chord melody over the top.

I'll keep fooling around with it in open G and standard, see what I can come up with. With one guitar, it doesn't sound too bad in standard, as long as you're playing fairly full (ie at least 3-4 strings) chords, but there are lots of quick(ish) changes.

Vic

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2