Want to learn slide

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 edub
(@edub)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have been playing for about 6 years and am stuck. Would appreciate any good starting points on learning slide and alt tunings. Thanks.

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'd suggest starting with open tunings (far easier as every string's tuned into a chord at each fret so any strings that ring are harmonious) and leave the standard tuning slide to work on later as an advanced technique. It takes well developed picking finger muting skills, and it's a lot harder to play self-accompanied solo stuff in standard. Works very well for playing mostly single note solos over a band backing, when you get the muting down. Kirk Lorange has excellent lesson videos for sliding in standard tuning and Dropped D, and can play astounding solo stuff, but he's been doing it for something like 35 years. Learn the basics in Open D (or E) or Open G first.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

slide playing really rekindled my desire with guitar playing.
pick an open tuning and stick with it for a while. open G is excellent. open D is cool too.
I like D. it sounds darker to me. sometimes I like that. I normally play open G.
there are so many resources on youtube. type slide guitar. amazing.

choose a slide. glass and metal are traditional. there is a difference in feel and tone with any material you choose.
spend time with the slide and listen. it takes a certain pressure when playing. once you get the string to sound clear
you can begin to apply subtle and not so subtle techniques. vibrato , for example.

Brads Page of Steel is an incredible source for information, history, and tunings.

oh, I tend to forget to say, because I play lap style slide, the slide can go on the finger of your choosing. whatever feels right.
it matters if you want to fret with fingers and slide too. you'll see.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Getting started on slide's fairly easy - but just like ordinary guitar playing, it takes a lifetime to master!

There are a few decisions, obviously - light or heavy slide? Glass or metal? Open G, open D, standard, or DADGAD? Which finger?

Open G, open D and open E are probably the most common for beginners - they're pretty similar tunings, a little experimentation should highlight your preference. I like open G myself - if it's good enough for Keith Richards and George Thorogood, hey it'll do for me! As for a slide, probably it's best to start with a fairly light one until you get the feel of the slide and develop a light touch, and develop the knack of damping the strings between the slide and the nut with a spare finger. Which finger? Ring or pinky are the most common, although I've seen Joe Walsh with a slide on his middle finger. It's all down to which finger you have the most control over, really, although being able to use a slide on the pinky has the big advantage of being able to use your middle and ring fingers to fret some cool chords.

The great thing about open tunings is their simplicity - you can play (as Ricochet said) a major chord just by strumming the open strings. It's pretty easy to put something vaguely bluesy sounding just by using the open position, the third fret, the fifth fret and the seventh fret.

The thing I like about open G is, I can do a lot of work on the D Gand B strings without having to do an awful lot of thinking - they're the same as in standard tuning! I also like playing in standard, though - there are a lot of useful double stops you can use, and a lot of 2, 3 and 4 string chords you can play with a slide, from majors to minors, minor 7ths and sus4ths.

But the best thing about slide? Anyone can do it, make music straight away and all it'll cost you is the price of a slide!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote