Learnin' to slide?

18 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

SlickCat, thanks for all the pointers .. I am still working on getting used to the feel of the slide.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Just to muddy the waters a little (no pun intended) I've been playing a lot of slide in standard tuning - with a little experimenting, you can switch from a minor to a major chord quite easily! Consider the second, third and fourth strings played open. You've got a G major chord there. Now play the first, second and third strings open - you've got an E minor chord. OK, they're not full chords - but they are the major and minor triads. You can also play 6ths, minor 7ths, sus4ths, powerchords, inverted powerchords etc etc all without having to fret behind or in front of the slide.

I play mostly in open G....it's the first open tuning I learned, and the one I'm most comfortable with. Part of the reason is that the major triad on the 2nd 3rd and 4th strings is still there - and in the same place as it is in standard tuning. Makes navigating your way around the fretboard just that little bit easier!

Just a little food for thought.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'm sitting around noodling with a bottleneck on my standard tuned Epi Bluesmaster, without a great deal of analysis about what chords or partial chords I'm playing. Came up with a nice restful, hypnotic sort of "background music" that I like. Only thing is, it keeps turning around and going on endlessly. Got to figure out a way to end it.
:lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2