Notifications
Clear all

New Idea for a a Nashville type of tunning advise needed

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@dmerricka)
Topic starter  

Hi i just strong up one of my GTRs Nashville style with the high strings and it is so cool It got me to thinking would it be posable to string up a guitar This way but the oppessit insted of tacking off the low E A D and G and putting Hi strings like from a 12 string could you tack off the Hi E B D and G and put on low strings ? What would this produce ? wonder if a Telecaster neck could handle the heavy strings ? any ways I love the odd chord vocings the nashville gives you and would love to get the same thing in more off the raguler gtr range . any Ideas would be great.

(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

Not sure I follow your line of thoughts here... If you use the low strings from a 12-string set you end up with a regular set of strings. The whole purpose of the high strung "Nashville" tuning is to add a 'shimmering' voice in a layer of acoustic guitars.
If you're thinking about going in the opposite direction and replace, say, the high E and B strings with strings that play an octave lower, you will a) have a practical problem since the nut isn't cut for that fat strings in the two top slots, and b) most likely end up with a very muddy sound,- the opposite of what you achieve with the Nashville tuning..

If you want something that sounds darker and deeper than a regular guitar I'd suggest looking into a baritone guitar, they're usually tuned all the way down to an "A" on the 6th string and fill in the gap between regular and bass guitar in a very cool way. The electric Danelectro baritones are classics..

Or am I missing something in your post?

Steinar

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@dmerricka)
Topic starter  

I think it would be muddy to maybe Ill look at the Bari . Love that hi nashville sound that would be a nice combo

ReplyQuote