Clear all

New slide....

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Just got a new slide, yesterday. For some reason they have a habit of disappearing - over the last couple of years, I've lost two brass slides, two glass ones and a chrome slide. Funnily enough, they always seem to disappear when the youngest grandson's been here - he's two years old (well, two and a half) and loves to hear me playing slide - totally disinterested when I'm playing riffs, or fingerpicking.

So I thought I'd get a cheap one - didn't have much money left after I'd got the guitars out of the pawn shop. The perspex slide was £4.99 - roughly about $8.30. The only other slide they had in the shop was a HUGE Dunlop brass slide, that cost about £12 - about $20. Couldn't afford that, so I had to get the perspex.

I have to say, it doesn't sound that good on acoustic - kind of thin, reedy, scratchy. But I do like it on electric - I like the light feel of it, seems to be made for quick runs up and down the fretboard. I'll have to get used to it, but so far I like it - but I'll definitely have to get a glass or brass slide for acoustic.

Now all I need is a lot of practise and a bit of talent.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I have a perspex slide, and the best I can say is that it's not nearly as bad as I thought it'd be. It has a nice slick surface, and it's light as air. But with the low mass, it's got very little sustain. Sometimes that can be a good thing, though. It's way better on electrics with very light strings than on acoustics. There are all sorts of slides, each with their strong points and drawbacks. I think it's good to have all kinds on hand. You'll find something each one excels at, eventually.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

The more I play with this perspex slide, the more I like it. As you say, Ric, it's light as air - ideal for electric guitar. I don't actually have another slide handy to compare it with, but it seems to sustain OK, although I seem to need a lot more vibrato to hold a note. Not so great on acoustic - I want a clear, piercing tone, the perspex slide is a little scratchy, a little muddy - great if you want a Robert Johnson tone, or an authentic old '30's style slide tone, but not so great for what I want.

Seems to me I need one slide that I can use for all my guitars - I don't like chopping and changing, I like something I can get used to and use on every guitar. Glass always sounded better on acoustic; Brass on electric. Some people use 'em the other way around, glass for electric, brass (or a heavier metal slide) for acoustic.

I'm wondering if one of those "hybrid" slides - part glass, part brass - of Ian's (Diamond Slides?) would be the perfect compromise - I know Ric and Steinar are fans of Diamond Slides, either of you - or anyone else - got any experience with them?

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I think the purpose of the "hybrids" is to make a heavier glass slide. Personally, the slide that comes the closest to being an all-around slide for me is the red Diamond Ultimate Ian had made to my specified dimensions. It's just the right size and weight, not too light or heavy. It's very slick, and sometimes I want more "scratch," but most of the time slick is just right.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

I'm wondering if one of those "hybrid" slides - part glass, part brass - of Ian's (Diamond Slides?) would be the perfect compromise - I know Ric and Steinar are fans of Diamond Slides, either of you - or anyone else - got any experience with them?

Vic

Never tried the "Evolution" slide, which is probably the one you're thinking of. I once had a "50/50" slide, metal with a glass surface, - it broke on a gig and I didn't bother to replace it with a similar one. I prefer glass for both electric and acoustic, it's just something about the feel of glass, besides the tone, that I love..
Am waiting for a prototype glass bullet bar for lap steel that Ian's working on, I'm really excited about that!

8)

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@ian-mcwee)

Cheers chaps - thanks for the kind words....hey Steinar, your bar is almost completed so i'll get back to you soon :wink:

Vic - please drop me a line via the details on the 'Contact Us' page of our website (either phone or e-mail) and i reckon i can fix you up with a brand-new 'special' :wink:

Slide On!

Ian.

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

hey Steinar, your bar is almost completed so i'll get back to you soon :wink:

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I'm going to have to add to Ian's blushes - I have a lead crystal slide from Diamond and it beats everything else that I've tried (and I've experimented with all sorts of stuff).

As for customer service, Diamond slides is a role model that every company should emulate.

I just wish my slide playing could do justice to the slide............................. :(

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote