11 Users
0 Likes
(@tealwood)
Topic starter  

If you're a fan of Led Zeppelin.....try this tuning:

Tuning :
---------

From low to high : D G C G C D

You can do a lot of nice partial and or 2-finger chords......and get some very rich beautiful jangley strums......

This is the alt. tuning for my favorite LZ song, "The Rain Song" from Houses of the Holy

Here's the tab for that song:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/l/led_zeppelin/rain_song_tab.htm

"I don't know what happened to that Phil Keaggy, he could have saved the world with his guitar"
-Ted Nugent

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

That's a fun song to play. Pretty tones. Gsus4, I believe. Know any other tunes that use it?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@tealwood)
Topic starter  

That's a fun song to play. Pretty tones. Gsus4, I believe. Know any other tunes that use it?

I do a lot of experimentation and improvisation with this tuning.....but I'm not aware of any other popular songs that use it

I'll look into it :D

"I don't know what happened to that Phil Keaggy, he could have saved the world with his guitar"
-Ted Nugent

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Wow, I looked at the tuning and tab. It seems Jimmy had lots of open strings ringing out which is great.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

I love this song as well, hence my icon.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I got turned on to this very early in my playing days. Until then, I had no idea a guitar could sound like this. I keep my starter guitar in that tuning and mess around with the song about once a month. Would probably do more, except my starter guitar would make a better lamp than it does a guitar and I hate playing it.

Hmmm, maybe if I DO turn it into a lamp, sell it on eBay and buy a better guitar with the proceeds........

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@reeve)
Estimable Member

I do a lot of experimentation and improvisation with this tuning.....but I'm not aware of any other popular songs that use it

I'll look into it :D

The intro to Mark Selby's "You" sounds like it might be in the tuning. It sounds a lot like the Rain Song, but I'm not sure if it's the same tuning or not.

This tuning is really fun to play around in, one of my favorite alternates.

Well, I've had some requests, but I'm going to play anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Jimmy Page used a lot of altered tunings. Check out Black Mountain Side from Led Zep I and Bron-y-Aur Stomp on Led Zep III

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

As well as the above suggestions, you could try Kashmir in DADGAD - there's a decent tab here....

https://www.guitarnoise.com/led_zeppelin/physical_graffiti/kashmir_tab.txt

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Gsus4 is of course the G key equivalent of DADGAD.

I've never figured out what DADGAD's good for.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Oh its very interesting. Could you provide me more information ?

[email protected] :D :shock: 8)

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Oh its very interesting. Could you provide me more information ?

[email protected] :D :shock: 8)

NO! :evil: :roll:

Dan

P.S. Actually, you may find this information rather interesting too:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6456

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

COOL! I saw this alternate tuning in a magazine years ago and promptly fogot it. Page reworked much of his music on the Physical Grafitti tour due to breaking the third finger on his left hand at the begining of the tour. Thanks for the post.

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote