Notifications
Clear all

Slide guitar

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@zac-chandler)
Topic starter  

Been playing since 1970 but just started playing slide any suggestions on how I can get a clean sound

Alive and Well

(@bournio)

Sorry.... Practice Practice Practice!

Also have your slide on the 3rd of 4th finger, and rest the other fingers on the strings, it cuts down on some noise, but is easy to change to playing noisily if you want that!

If you're clanging against frets, that just takes practice, or you can raise the action, but that has a detrimental effect on normal playing.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

It takes a while to figure out how much pressure to use as well. Personally, I discovered as well that I do much better with a glass slide than with a metal slide. You might want to try out slides made of steel, brass, glass until you find one that works nicely for you.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Having strings a little thicker and higher than you're probably used to makes it easier not to crash into the fretboard, and also reduces the likelihood of the strings pulling away from the slide and buzzing with a light touch, but once you really develop the "muscle memory" for where the slide needs to stop, you can slide on any guitar. My teacher used to usually grab a random new guitar off the store racks to play with me. Avoid things like extended nuts. (I'm biting my lip here.) They get in the way of fretting, which you should be able to do to play bottleneck, with reasonably good intonation. And you really don't gain much of use with extremely heavy strings. I'd worked up to a .017-.070" set on my resonator. I've just switched that out to a Darco Jazz Light Electric Nickel .012-.052" set, same as I use on my electrics, and know what? It sounds better! Sure makes a difference in playing feel!
:shock: :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@zac-chandler)
Topic starter  

Thanks eveyone...

Alive and Well

ReplyQuote
(@zac-chandler)
Topic starter  

will work on developing the touch(muscle) Thanks again... hey what do u think of the jet slide? (any good) ?

Alive and Well

ReplyQuote
(@bournio)

I don't know about it, it looks curious, but I've only got experiance of tubes! I currently play a Dunlop Moonshine Slide. that seems nice as a ceramic one. A good source for slides is old bottles, from spirits and things, but I think Ricochet is possibly more in the know than I!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I have a Jet Slide. I've not used it a lot, because I'm primarily a bottlenecker. The Jet Slide is mainly intended for people who primarily play with standard fretting and want to be able to throw in a slide solo then go back to unfettered fretting. (Think folks who play in standard tuning with a band.) For that it's ideal! It is on the light side for playing on very heavy strings. Works well with the light strings most people use on electrics. It is very easy to flick it down for sliding, and it basically goes out of the way by itself when you let go of the tab. Mine is very well made, and it will do just what it's intended to do quite well. I think it's the best of the "intermittent slide" options available.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote