Clear all

Slide in standard and Dropped D

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@planetalk)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I thought I should mention that slide need not be played in open tunings. I started out playing in open G and D many moons ago, but reverted to standard when I realized I sounded like everyone else playing slide ... I found it hard to get away from the licks and lines that are facilitated by open tunings ... plus my brain isn't big enough to accommodate more than one tuning, as I really like to know exactly what I'm playing, and in open tunings I was never quite sure.

Standard is a surprisingly rich environment for slide ... you've just got to know where to go looking for the bits and pieces that line up. I'm actually in the middle of a huge project: the How to play Slide Guitar in Standard and Dropped D DVD. I'm the cameraman, lighting man, engineer, player, producer, video editor, special effects man, graphic artist, script writer, narrator and it's just about driven me nuts! It looks like it's still weeks away from being finished, but I will finish it ...

All tunes at http://www.soundclick.com/pro/?BandID=156391 are in dropped D.

Cheers,

Kirk

Kirk

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've been watching your weekly posts with new videos and lessons for a good while. They're all terrific! I expect your DVD will be a "must-have."
:D

I think that slide in standard tuning and Dropped D are more advanced techniques than in open tunings, but they're fertile territory to explore when you've got a decent grasp of the basics. I haven't made much progress there myself. Maybe if I spent more time playing my guitar instead of typing on this computer...
:lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@fantasticsound)

Ouch! You're fantastic, Kirk.

I'm very interested in working out some of your acoustic tunes...

That's my opinion. It oughta be yours.

ReplyQuote
(@deaf-david)
Trusted Member

Kirk, I didn't recognize your user name.

That is some beautiful music. Some of us play around; you've got it nailed.

This does look like the board for serious learning...

If it ain't true, it ain't blues.

http://www.soundclick.com/deafdavid

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Kirk, I'm glad you found the new section!

Buster is doing well I hope.

Great playin' as always!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Kirk, I didn't recognize your user name.

This does look like the board for serious learning...Kirk's got a fretboard pattern recognition scheme by that name. I expect he can help us with the serious learning.
:D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote