Clear all

Slide with standard tuning

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@threegtrz)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've been doing slide for years, but i have always used open tuning. I have been trying to learn "Stay with Me" by Faces, and it seems that Ron Wood uses standard tuning to alternate between the fingered fills and the slide fills.

Does anyone here play this song, or use standard tuning?

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

A lot of Harrison's slide work is in standard tuning. I don't know the Ron Wood tune.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

One of those songs me and a friend always play when we're jamming.......I play rhythm in open G tuning (capoed at the 2nd fret) and he plays slide in standard. Sometimes, however, he'll not bother with the slide and play one-finger chords on the 2nd 3rd and 4th strings, with a few little add-ons.

Something like this.....

For the intro, start with an E chord, xx999x and alternate it with E6/9 (or A, if you prefer!) by playing x x 11 9 10 x - think of it as an Am7 shape over the E triad. Then it's D and D6/9(or G) and A and A6/9(or D)

Verses and chorus are A, B and D (alternating with the Am7 shape above the triad on the 2nd 3rd and 4th strings)

Then back to the E D and A chords for the outro.

When he's playing slide - in standard - I think he uses mostly the 2nd 3rd and 4th strings, with a double-stop on the 1st and 2nd strings 3 frets higher than the major triad (ie xx999x for the E chord, alternating with a double stop at the 12th fret on the 1st and 2nd strings.)

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Remember that strings 2-4 are the same in standard and Open G. :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Getting dozy in my dotage - completely forgot, there's a rough demo of "Stay With Me" on my soundclick page....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=225059

Click on the track labelled "jam session".....my guitar was in open G, my friend's guitar is in standard. How the hell Woody did it all with one guitar beats me....but then I guess that's why he's playing with the Stones and I'm not!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@threegtrz)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I found this on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei-L_AuuaxI

It's Faces doing the song live on some TV show. Good stuff, but I want to totally murder the moron who had the bright idea of posterizing some of the shots.

It looks like Woody has the slide in his mouth at the beginning of the song. He does some tasty stuff here, but it's not nearly as busy as the studio version.

ReplyQuote
(@slickcat)
Estimable Member

I found this on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei-L_AuuaxI

It's Faces doing the song live on some TV show. Good stuff, but I want to totally murder the moron who had the bright idea of posterizing some of the shots.

It looks like Woody has the slide in his mouth at the beginning of the song. He does some tasty stuff here, but it's not nearly as busy as the studio version.

Great clip!! 8)

Slip___Sliding___Away__________

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I use standard 95% of the time.

Warren Haynes is an advocate of Standard tuning.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Cool old video. I liked that slide work.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Looking at the video, there aren't many close ups of Woody's fingers - but it looks to me (Don't take this as gospel, though!) as if he's in open D or E tuning. It's a bit hard to make out 'cos the video seems out of sync in places.

Vic

ReplyQuote