Clear all

The Best Single Coil Pickup for Rondo Lap Steel

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@warder348)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

What are your opinoins on the best drop in single coil pickup for the Rondo lap steel. Thanks for your help!

(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

What pickup size drops into it, strat, tele, minibucker?
What sound are you looking for?
What does the circuit comprise of? ie 3 way>Volume>Tone
Do you want vintage spec, modern or have no preference?

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I have heard that swapping out the stock pup for a telecaster pup works. Seymour Duncan has many to choose. in fact, he makes a vintage tele pickup that works pretty well. I have built a few lap steels and used them. they have beautiful clear clean tones and with the right amp or overdrive pedal they sound awesome.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/specialized/specialized-instruments/1103445_1950_la/

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@warder348)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Only strat pickups are a dropin fit. Any suggestions, and thanks for your help! Would be nice if they made one of those Antiquitys for the strat.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@warder348)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Dogbite, that one should do!

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Personaly I like the sound of the P90's in the lap steels. Not sure if anyone makes a strat sized one that sounds like it though. Will need mods to fit a normal one.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

There are lots of guys doing a P-90 style strat pickup. I haven't built or played one - but involves replacing the rod mags you'd have in a normal strat single coil and using adjustable pole pieces over a bar mag below the coil. Sort of like the cheaper ceramic pickups you find on import and student strats. In fact, I saw a guy who was converting the coil from those ceramic pickups into P'90 types. You could get that grittier P-90 jangle by fitting a steel or copper plate under a normal single coil if you were so inclined. It's cheap and reversible, I've seen a lot of guys do it. Callaham, Lollar, GFS and Fralin all offer the plates as many others do as well, I'm sure.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

realy?? ive never heard of that. I might just give that a shot. I have the strat pickup in my lap steel, and its a tick low.... and I do a lot of fab work so I have lots of steel, tin, oddball metals also.. How thick are they? Thin like a pice of sheet metal, or thicker like a piece of strap steel??

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

? 1/16 maybe.

ReplyQuote