Clear all

V-Slide

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I've been playing with something interesting. Called a V-slide, it looks like an ordinary 1" Pyrex tube slide but is made of cast acrylic instead. It's a bit lighter than a comparable glass slide. I had very low expectations of how a slide made of any plastic material would work, but I'm pleasantly surprised. It sounds pretty doggone good, actually. It doesn't have the greatest sustain, as you'd expect, but it's not as much reduced as I thought it would be by the lower mass. I think it has a little more frictional "bite" than smooth Pyrex on the plain strings to keep sustain going with vibrato. It's also harder than I expected, not showing wear or scratches from the strings after playing with it for a while. I've been playing with it on acoustic. It would surely work very well on an electric guitar with light strings and some gain on the amp. I plan to try that, but haven't been playing electric lately.

They also make a clear cast acrylic pick called a V-Pick. The one I have is quite thick and rigid, with a smooth rounded bevel on the edges. I'm basically a fingerpicker, but the V-pick works well if you like stiff flatpicks.

Nobody can collect too many bits of gear of this sort. Give 'em a try: http://v-picks.com/

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

(@slickcat)
Estimable Member

Hey Rico...
Did you get the small one or large? Whats the length on it? 8)

Slip___Sliding___Away__________

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I have the large one, and have sent off for one of the smaller ones to try as well. The large one I have has a working surface 2" long, exclusive of the end bevels. I'd prefer it 1/4-3/8" longer. I think Vinnie will make you one about any length you like if you ask him. He's cutting off tubing from long pieces and finishing the ends, I expect. He's a nice guy.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I got the smaller slide, too. Fits snugly on my pinky or the 2 distal phalanges of my ring finger. A little longer than the larger diameter one. Works well on the light string electrics. If lightness of the slide is important to you and you don't need a lot of sustain, give it a try.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Worth looking into. According to his site, the large slide is 1" internal diameter, while the small is 3/4" diameter.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote