Clear all

What to do with an old acoustic

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

The first time I ever owned a guitar, was several centuries ago, when I was about 14. The guitar didn't last very long, it was very cheap and had an action that was reminiscent of the Clifton Suspension Bridge. Shortly after, I got my father to invest in an electric with amp (both of which I still have). The acoustic got put in a plastic bag and was relegated to the loft space, where it stayed for 40 years or so (tuned, I might add!). When I bought my lovely Diamond slide, I asked Ian McWhee to post it to my mother's house (I was going there to visit). Not wanting to take a guitar with me (and knowing how high the action on the old acoustic was, I decided to make it a slider and give the Diamond slide a try-out.

The neck is from a classical guitar - flat as a pancake, it is - with slotted head and open tuners. The bridge is floating and as cheap as chips. To add to the cheeseyness, the "rosette" is a bit of black paint (as is the "binding"). For all that, it appears to have a nitro finish (or very good imitation of one)!

The holes, on the deck, are where I tried to "upgrade" it with a Framus Jazz pickup (which I also still have).

As I said, the action is high. It was also like that, when I put the thing away 40 years ago! When I took it out, it was about 50-60 cents flat - and that was on all 6 strings. What is of note, is that the neck has NO truss rod, that I can find.
It now sports a new set of Martin 12's and the bridge was adjusted to get a very reasonable intonation.

What I find so amazing, is that the guitar was as cheap as you can get, but yet it has an arched back!
Interestingly, the guitar has an even, full and rich sound - I'm actually very impressed.
So, don't pass a cheap acoustic by, take it home, give it a bit of TLC and you can get yourself a nice slider for peanuts.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Great idea Greybeard. That looks like a guitar some old blues man would be playing. :wink: I think I may just have to check out some pawn shops or rummage sales to see if I can find one. 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

old blues man
well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

old blues man
well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: I didn't mean you! :lol: :lol: :wink:

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

:lol:

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Greybeard's a GIRL?
:shock:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

You could D or G tuning it to death. It'd be great for straight slide.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

It's in open G, at the moment. I'm thinking of making a knee pad, so that I can also play it as a lap guitar and get access to the higher frets.

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Ought to be a good one for that.

It was once popular to lay a guitar across one's lap and slide with the back of a table knife. Put that silverware to good use.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

definately play lap style.
very cool project!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote