Clear all

What Tuning is This?

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@warder348)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

G#CD# G#CD# This is the tuning used here, sounds so good! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edXCEIHvWBQ&feature=related

(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Open A flat tuning - Ab C Eb Ab C Eb

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Strikes me as a curious tuning - how would you tune DOWN to Ab on the 6th string without said string flapping in the breeze? Unless of course you used a string more suitable for the 5th string? And wouldn't the 5th string - tuned all the way up to C - be under a heck of a lot of tension? Unless you used another "4th" string?

I reckon you'd actually need a guitar dedicated to that tuning.

Wouldn't the "standard" Ab tuning be something like Eb Ab Eb Ab C Eb?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

In the original recording of Sleepwalk, it is done in what a lot of folks think of as "bluegrass" or "Dobro" Open G tuning (GBDGBD), tuned up an additional half-step. Tuning up both the low E and A strings that high on a conventional guitar (especially an acoustic) can be harmful, but a lap steel, as the one in the video, can usually handle it.

You can get strings sets made especially for this "Dobro Open G."

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

Yep, it's the standard "dobro" GBDGBD tuned up a half step. On my lap steel i use regular 013-056 strings for this tuning, replacing the 013 with a 015.

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

If you buy sets made for GBDGBD, like the Martin Bluegrass Resonator Guitar strings, you generally get a .016-.056" set.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote