Clear all

Why does it work?

18 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

phangeaux: Sorry to dissapoint you, but Amsterdam is nothing compared to proper cities like Rome, Berlin and Barcelona. Wouldn't play my guitar in most parks in Amsterdam without chaining my guitar to my body and having a friend nearby to prevent people nicking my gigbag. :lol:

And music is a great thing but be carefull with obsessions. No matter how hard you work or how talented you are learning an instrument and general music theory takes a lot of time. In my first year I practiced insanely much, and I had about 10 hours a day availlable. At the end of that year people said I had progressed a lot but I was nowhere near anything remotely acceptable. And after a while it got rather depressing when I started to notice every shitty-nobody-cares band had a guitarist miles above me and I came quite close to accepting guitar just wasn't for me.

While I'm sorry to hear about your medical disability there is nothing stopping you from diving head-first into the world of music. But keeping a more realistic viewpoint then I had might save you a lot of trouble. I've been playing for just over two years now and I'm finally accepting my progress. I'm still no Hendrix, Gilmour, Vai or Segovia, but I'm guitarist in a band where we only write our own songs, have played my first gig and write my own music for myself. It's not anything close to where I wanted to be after even one year but I now see what people mean about building rome in a day. If you want an idea of where I am know, check this topic: https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18270 I'm the first to admit I might not be the most talented musician but I did work harder then most, I hope.

Oh, GuitarNoise is one of the few fora where postcount means nothing whatsoever. Which I think is something partly repsonsible for the fact that this is also one of the few fora where you can post yoru recordings or progress regardless of who you are or how far you've come without being trashed. Best of luck, and if you come to Holland drop me a PM. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

phangeaux. dude. thank you.

I enjoy your posts too. in fact, thanks to ricochete I am on this fporum...so happy to be here. the company here is tops.
I like posting often as it seems lately I have alot to say.
I try to include anecdotal experiences to add dimension to my pitiful knowledge.
Im thrilled with responses like yours phangeaux.

in a matter of days I shpould be getting my brand new National Model D square neck reso.
it has been a six month wait.
Im with you in that music and music creation has been growing to a more purposeful and fulfilling part of my life.
the last few years Ive had an increase in my abilities behind the guitar.
not sure where its coming from. a bunch of things I guess.
I think a breakthrough occured a year ago. I put my standard acoustic on my lap and tuned to open G. with pick and finger I wailed on it. I liked having the sound hole pointing at me for a change.
plus I found I could really get under those strings all the while I could watch my left hand so much better.
things took off after that.

so now I am a tried and true blue lap steeler and I even sit now behind a pedal steel

I too want to thank everyone on this site. so welcoming, open and knowledgeable.and thanks for putting up with my typos.

phangeaux, best of luck with you new mission. and if you are near the cities do give a call.

you mentioned listening to arabic or mid eastern music.
that's pretty haunting stuff. Ive listened to world music ever since the mid sixites when Ravi Shankar came to light.

dont have a sitar, but I do have a sit guitar, which s a hoot to play.
I do have several ouds; one electric. very cool instruments. non fretted.
I need an extra self to have the time to play that style.
I hope I live a long life .

props to you and all.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Well, I'm sitting here with my Tricone, my Scott Ainslie book of Robert Johnson song transcriptions open to "Terraplane Blues," and what am I doing? Typing on this dang computer!

See you later, I need to do some picking!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2