10/51 Second Thoughts w MP3

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@john-sargent)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Added a MP3 http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11960157

This is my second draft. I should probably stick with this and record it a couple of times.

Second Thoughts

Well there’s a second chance and a second guess
There’s second nature and second best
Second harvest of the second crop
Second gear to go, tap tap the brakes to stop
You know that one is good but two is better
If you’re cold put on a second sweater.

On the second page of the second book
The second man took a second look
In the second scene of the second act
The second person told the second fact
Then he said to the second nurse
“This is the end of the second verse”

A Second Lieutenant in the Second World War
Got a second medal on his second tour
His father was in prison for his second crime
A second story man caught the second time
If you think this movie has no equal
Save your money and skip the sequel

The Sox were holding onto second place
The second batter got to second base
It was the second pitch of the second inning
The second city team now was winning
If you think cheering a team is nice
Watch a double header when they win it twice

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

it has a good rhythm to it.

ReplyQuote
(@john-sargent)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

it has a good rhythm to it.

Thanks for reading and commenting

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Hi MrEWorm,

That's great! :mrgreen: Flows real nice.....I keep wanting to read ahead but have no idea what's coming up and nice payoff lines in each verse. I has a bit of a Seussical feel (in a good way....not going too silly.....but keeping it entertaining.)

I think this one will be part of your open mic repertoire very soon :wink:

James

ReplyQuote
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

Great Job, I enjoyed it!

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

ReplyQuote
(@john-sargent)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hi MrEWorm,

That's great! :mrgreen: Flows real nice.....I keep wanting to read ahead but have no idea what's coming up and nice payoff lines in each verse. I has a bit of a Seussical feel (in a good way....not going too silly.....but keeping it entertaining.)

I think this one will be part of your open mic repertoire very soon :wink:

James

I'm glad you liked it. It's not really "penultimate". Some of the seconds are, like "second place". Just once I started I couldn't stop. At the bottom of this post I'll include a list of seconds that might have been in the song.
Great Job, I enjoyed it!

Thanks, I enjoyed it too. Sometimes when I think I'm being clever, I can't help but smiling while putting something like this together.

Here is a list of "Second" things that I had assembled before I started writing the song
glance, thought, mind, to none, time, doubt, sight, wind, awakening, class, council, use, look, challenge, hand, worst, , opinion, look, step,, gear, term, time, session, estimate, quote, arrest, conviction, sentence, perspective, Rate, fiddle, chair, banana, principle, law, stanza, flat, sharp, position, debate, line (Mardi Gras), drink, beer, helping, mile, wave, class, cars, vans, Hand, phrase, faze, language, idea, crime, conviction, floor, shot, to-none, story, speaker, sock, design, breakfast, coming, life, death, mortgage, lien, home, car, job, career, income, front, second hand smoke, symbol, level
Largest, Place, half, down, inning, quarter, half, score, round, stroke, hole, base, run, pass, season, run, timeout, string, Verse, amendment, revision, edition, paragraph, chapter, book, sentence, word, language, movement, act, play, book, draft, season, album, song, reading, track, scene,
Marriage, wife, date, dance, child, childhood, life, grade, year, day, week, month, Dynasty, Empire, City, State, Country, Circuit, court, judge, speaker, the motion, law, street, Avenue, temple, church, bank, school, class, grade, Age, district, precinct, frontier, Day, time, year, month, hour, minute,

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Here is a list of "Second" things that I had assembled before I started writing the song
That's quite a list :shock: Although you could just say you can put the word "second" in front of any countable noun......which is a very long list indeed. :wink:

BTW I am uploading the other song for you to check out now :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@john-sargent)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I added a recording in which I played the harmonica (2nd position harp of course), a bass ukulele, a lap steel ukulele and a resonator ukulele

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11960157

The lyrics were revised slightly. Changes noted below.

Well there’s a second chance and a second guess
There’s second nature and second best
Second harvest of the second crop
Second gear to go, tap tap the brakes to stop
You know that one is good but two is better
If you’re cold put on a second sweater.

On the second page of the second book
The second man took a second look
In the second scene of the second act
The second person told the second fact
Then he screamed at the second nurse
“This is the end of the second verse”

A Second Lieutenant in the Second World War
Got a second medal on his second tour
His step-father was in prison for the second time
A second story man and his second floor crime
If you think this movie has no equal
Save your money and skip the sequel

The second city sluggers were stuck in second place
When the second batter got to second base
It was the second pitch of the second inning
In a split-second the White Sox were winning
If you think cheering for your team is nice
Watch a double header when they win it twice

Changes to the lyrics: The person now screams at the nurse. The father is now a step-father (fits the theme of seconds). The last verse was reversed so that I could say "second city sluggers were stuck". I also added "In a split-second"

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Blues is a great genre for the lyrics and nice harmonica playing :D

Thanks for sharing.

ReplyQuote
(@andygetch)
Reputable Member

glance, thought, mind, to none, time, doubt, sight, wind, awakening, class, council, use, look, challenge, hand, worst, , opinion, look, step,, gear, term, time, session, estimate, quote, arrest, conviction, sentence, perspective, Rate, fiddle, chair, banana, principle, law, stanza, flat, sharp, position, debate, line (Mardi Gras), drink, beer, helping, mile, wave, class, cars, vans, Hand, phrase, faze, language, idea, crime, conviction, floor, shot, to-none, story, speaker, sock, design, breakfast, coming, life, death, mortgage, lien, home, car, job, career, income, front, second hand smoke, symbol, level
Largest, Place, half, down, inning, quarter, half, score, round, stroke, hole, base, run, pass, season, run, timeout, string, Verse, amendment, revision, edition, paragraph, chapter, book, sentence, word, language, movement, act, play, book, draft, season, album, song, reading, track, scene,
Marriage, wife, date, dance, child, childhood, life, grade, year, day, week, month, Dynasty, Empire, City, State, Country, Circuit, court, judge, speaker, the motion, law, street, Avenue, temple, church, bank, school, class, grade, Age, district, precinct, frontier, Day, time, year, month, hour, minute,

dig it

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1228093

ReplyQuote
(@john-sargent)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for listening and the comments.

After the comments on my last recording, Fears Vanish, I bought a pop filter for my recording area. With all of the "S" sounds in Second Thoughts I wanted to keep the audible noises to a minimum.

Fittingly, this is the second time I have recorded this resonator ukulele and also the second time I recorded myself on harmonica.
It was the second time I had played bass, I just bought the thing on Saturday. Photos of the solid body bass ukulele can be seen here: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?71895-New-uke-day-Kala-s-u-b-U-bass

I bought the lap steel ukulele for my wife but she rarely plays it. Normally its tuned to open C but I took it down to open Bb so that I could slide into the C chords. This was the first time I recorded this instrument but the second time will be better. :)

John

ReplyQuote