Clear all

Week 51 Second to None

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@katreich)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

This song is dedicated to my friend CJ, a great avant-garde singer and songwriter who died 3 years ago this week. I can just about hear her belt this one out on her piano! This is in a ragtime or show tune style.

Second to None

Intro:

I’ve come in last place, in life’s rat race
And I’m the fifth of six dear daughters
I usually find I’m at the end of the line
Be it hell or just high water
I’ve been married twice, first time not so nice
There was a lot more tears than fun
But I have to say, since you’ve come my way
Baby, you’re second to none.

One last time before it’s all over
One last kiss before it’s goodbye
One more chorus after one last verse
For the baby’s lullaby
One more chance to make a showing
One more out of town run
Just one more guy to give it a try
And baby you’re second to none

What’s in a name, what’s in a number?
When we’ve gone to that eternal slumber
What do we care if we’re last in line?
Or if it’s part of a grand design?

One more chance to start over
One last trip to the well
One shot before we go sober
Before the last call bell
One last meet for old times’ sake
One more song to be sung
One more chance for one last dance
Cause baby, you’re second to none.

K Reichert 10/21/2012

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Hi Kathy,

Good read :D

I am a little confused on the point of view. The singer is saying she's never number 1....but telling the singee they are second to none.....so the singer is still the penultimate?.....still feels not number 1?

....maybe something like this.........

But I have to say, since you’ve come my way
Baby, you’re second to none. >>>>You make me feel second to none

I see a mismatch where the lines are about the singer but the pay off line is about the singee

For example, I'm not good at basketball and can't even make it on the team, but Micheal Jordan is an NBA champion.

Should be just a slight tweaking to clarify....or maybe it comes across better in the listen.

Thanks for sharing.

James

ReplyQuote
(@john-sargent)
Noble Member

I won't quibble over whats "penultimate". There are lots of references here to place in order, last place, the fifth of six, married twice, second to none.

The thoughts are sincere, the story is coherent, the rhymes are good and it's got some original lines along with a few common phrases. I'm looking forward to hearing it.

ReplyQuote
(@andygetch)
Reputable Member

Hi Kathy,
The lyric has a nice buildup using repetition of lines starting with "one", interesting contrast to the title too, also the What When What line sequence. Reading it I am hearing a big band behind a boisterous vocal.

I am not sure if you are looking for comments. I must confess I had read the lyric first and didn't get the point of the song, wasn't sure if it was about a breakup, the end of last a drunk before going into rehab, or death(s). When I went back and read the dedication that helped me understand the lyric framework. I am wondering if you considered including more of how the singer relates to the singee?

Just a thought or maybe when hearing the lyric as written, the music will knock me off my piano stool :lol:

Take what is helpful, ignore the rest.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1228093

ReplyQuote