Clear all

9/42 Look To This Day With MP3

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@john-sargent)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

The assignment fits well with a project I have ben working on for two weeks. Putting an ancient Sanskrit poem by Kalidasa to music.
The origianl poem was supposedlu writtem in the 4th Century AD .

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10957805

Look To This Day

Look to this day, for it is life,
The very life of life. Look to this day
One day at a time, life goes on
This is the message of the dawn

In its brief course lies all reality and truth
I heard a wise men say
Yesterday is a memory, tomorrow but a dream
Look well then to this day

Each day well-lived, makes every yesterday
A memory of happiness. Look to this day
And each day well-lived, gives tomorrow
A dream of hope. Look well then, to this day

Break

Look to this day, for it is life,
The very life of life. Look to this day
One day at a time, life goes on
This is the promise of the dawn

(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member

This is lovely. I don't know how I've never heard of the poem, but I'm inclined to check out more of his work.

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

That's nice, but not a movie. A movie has pictures and dialogue you have to put into words. If you like next week we can do sanskrit poetry to songs :)

ReplyQuote
(@john-sargent)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

That's nice, but not a movie. A movie has pictures and dialogue you have to put into words. If you like next week we can do sanskrit poetry to songs :)

Busted :)

ReplyQuote
(@john-sargent)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Even though I had been working on this adaptation before the assignment I felt it was a good movie scene song. I watched Bourne Identity again last night. The film ends on an upbeat note but then goes to Moby and Extreme Ways. It needed an upbeat song. The diehard films understood this concept. I originally thought this song would work well for a post apocalyptic scene inthe film "a boy and his dog"g

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Sounding good :D It has a bit of a Jack Johnson "feel" (and that's a good thing :wink: ) Thanks for sharing.

James

ReplyQuote
(@john-sargent)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the listen and coment. I tried about 12 melodies and half a dozen lyric variations. I find it harder to adapt someone elses work than to do my own.

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

I tried about 12 melodies and half a dozen lyric variations
That's great! I think that's very helpful.

Well, my Sunday has come and gone with no assignment SSG :( ....it's not easy living in the future time zone...... so I might have to post another late one this week after the work week responsibilities are done :roll: ......At least my wife will be happy I am spending Sunday night with her instead of songwriting :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@john-sargent)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Well, my Sunday has come and gone with no assignment SSG :( ....it's not easy living in the future time zone...... so I might have to post another late one this week after the work week responsibilities are done :roll: ......At least my wife will be happy I am spending Sunday night with her instead of songwriting :wink:
It's 6:15 Pm Sunday here in Chicago, we don't have a Sunday assignment yet. I guess he doesn't want to give us a head start on you.

ReplyQuote