Music ????

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Ok Ok

I have just written a song I have a tune in my head that fits the words so well , now remember that I can't play very well what is the next step ?

How do I take what is in my head and play it on the guitar ?

High voice parts ( do I use A and D ) ?

And the lower voice parts use G ?

How do I pick the right chords and strum pattern ?

I know this is the writters section but I think putting the right musical structure to your lyrics is very important ..

Or could someone just PM me and advise me then ?

I am totally hopeless when it comes to playing but would love to bring one of my songs to life ...aka ( fundays)

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

(@davidhodge)

There are (naturally) many ways to go from here. Two of the easier ways are:

1) Try to write out the melody line and then work on the harmony (chords). It doesn't necessarily mean matching the note exactly. If you know you're singing an E, for example, play it on the open first (high E) string or at the second fret of the D string to give yourself room. When you've got the notes down (written down) then you can usually figure out what key you're in and work from there. If your starting note is E (again, just as an example), and you also see you've got the notes A, D, C# and G#, then you're probably in the key of A (three sharps - F#, C# and G#) (see? theory can be important! :wink: )

2) You can shortcut yourself and simply start with the first note. Again, let's say it's E. There are three major chords which have E in them - E, A and C. Try each one while singing your melody and see how it goes. More often than not, you'll hear when something goes askew.

Hilch, there are literally thousands of ways of going about this. One of the reasons I want to start posting my MP3s is to give you some ideas. This last one (Just A Song Elaine May Hear) started out with that melody line, which came from playing around on the guitar more than anything else. And the words simply fit. Or I made them fit... :wink:

But you can also start out simply strumming a chord and singing some words and letting your melody decide where and when to switch from one chord to another. That sounds complicated, but it's truly not. Take a chord progression you like and just start singing while strumming. That's how it all gets going.

Looking forward to hearing music from you in the near future.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks David

Is it really that easy ?

But you can also start out simply strumming a chord and singing some words and letting your melody decide where and when to switch from one chord to another. That sounds complicated, but it's truly not. Take a chord progression you like and just start singing while strumming. That's how it all gets going.

Ok here I go I'll be working on this over the week-end and see what happens ...

Thanks again

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I like the way this song flows, I'll try and do a sort of AC/DC ish riff (should appeal to an Aussie!) to it and send it in the AM....

Might have to change a couple of words here and there to fit but I'll try and stay true to the spirit in which the song was written....that OK by you, Hilch?

Now would be a good time to bring back the Sunday Composer's Group........IMO.....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Anything and everything is Ok by me Vic

ReplyQuote