Clear all

SSG Year 11 Week 5

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter  

Hello to all!

This week let's explore not making music, in other words, making use of rests - total moments of silence that are inherent parts of music.

Your task is to write a song that contains a deliberate pause in both music and lyrics. Think the Motown classic "How Sweet It Is To Be Loved By You" which uses an effective pause in the prechorus ('...I just want to stop...and thank you baby..."). Or the gaps between the verses and choruses of Prince's "Purple Rain" or the huge dramatic halt before the last chorus of Springsteen's "Rosalita" or Semisonic's "Closing Time."

Bonus points, of course, if your song topic / story involves silence, like "The Sounds of Silence" (Paul Simon) or "Angels of the SIlences" (Counting Crows).

As always, I look forward to reading and to listening to (and this week, not listening to, too!) what you come up with.

Peace

(@john-sargent)
Noble Member

Lyrical rest, musical rest or both. I'm slightly confused. If I remember correctly, "Sounds of Silence" has a guitar playing without any significantly long rests.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter  

Both musical and lyrical rests are what we're going after. The idea of "Sounds of SIlence" is neither a musical nor a lyrical example of the assignment, but rather an idea of including the ideas of silence into the lyrics. Confusing choice, so my apologies.

Peace

ReplyQuote