7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@slowplay)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Two snippets I've been sitting on for a while:

1) Fiesta

This is a simple chord progression that I just can't get any words to.

E B C#m B F#m A B A

You can listen at:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=337003&songID=5615070

2) Your Arms Crippled in Their Longing

This amazing title came from the member once known as Blue Night Angel back in year 3 I believe. We all came up with titles, then we picked a couple titles and wrote a chorus for them. That's as far as I ever got.
Your eyes hollowed by their streaming
Your smile twisted by your dreaming
Your arms crippled in their longing
Your hope buried you alive

As pointed out to me way back then, the last line is weak and/or trite.

This following is repeated throughout:
F# G G#
G# G F#

You can listen at:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=337003&songID=5615475

Ice cream is a dish best served cold.

(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

#1 The music (to me) conjours up the image of a person (or persons) driving thier car along in the sunshine, with the roof down, having fun. I like the progression, and I'm definately going to try and get some words flowing to it for later in the week

#2 Wasn't what I expected at all; I was all prepared to hear distored plam-muted powerchords, as to me the lyrics read as fitting that kind of genre - that said, what you have works well; I was pleasently suprised :)

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member

wow... i like what you did with my title. it sounds great, i think :-)
i'm not sure about the last line either.. but the longer i look at it, the better it feels.
i hope this bit makes it into a song someday.. i'm feeling very uncreative right now... sorry to be of so little help.

cheers,
straycat.

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

ReplyQuote
 Bob
(@bob)
Noble Member

Hi Slowplay

#2 Is so good. The last line probably was pointed out in that assignment as quite weak but when heard with the music it doesn't jar at all. This is definitely one worth working on. You have such a good start keep it going with it.

#1 the chord sequence is great. Try mixing it up a bit to see if it inspires in other ways. For example, I've just tried slowing it down and picking the chords rather than the quick strum and it changes the complexion of the piece. May spark sme other ideas or fit with another iece you have in the pending catgory.

Good stuff

Bob :wink:

My Soundclick Page

You are what you eat, eat well

ReplyQuote
(@joausc)

For the first idea, the only thought I had is to play the riff to Come As You Are (by Nirvana), but altered, so you have
e, b e b e e f
f# a f# f#, a f# f

over the chords. It's kind of a strange idea, but it might lead somewhere.

For the second one, I had a couple of ideas:

- Try changing the chords from
G# / / / / / / G
F# / / / / / / G (2x)
to something like
G# / / / / / / G
F# / / / / / / E
F#6/9 / / / D#m / / /
G# / / / C# / / /

The main idea is to try repeating a chord in some kind of variation, like the F# to the F#6/9.

- Also, I liked the second and third lines of the lyrics. The second one seems to paint a picture of a guy who's thinking of doing something mischevious and smiling. The third line seems to be about a guy who's burdened by the sins he's already committed, perhaps after dreaming about it. (Take this with a grain of salt, though. I'm not the best in interpreting lyrics.) I couldn't understand how the first and last lines would fit into this scheme.

ReplyQuote
(@slowplay)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hey, JoAuSc, welcome to guitarnoise.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm having trouble figuring out how the "e, b e b e e f f# a f# f#, a f# f" is supposed to sound over the chords. Is it possible to record that and post? ( If you need a hand with that message me or post to the board, there's a lot of expertise here. )

Also, how does one play F#6/9?

Thanks again.

Ice cream is a dish best served cold.

ReplyQuote
(@joausc)

Here's what I had in mind. It isn't much, but maybe it'll spark some other idea.

I play a G#6/9 chord like this:

e: 4
b: 4
g: 3
d: 4
a: x
e: 2

I usually fret the bottom string with my thumb, though I've heard it's bad to do that.

ReplyQuote