Clear all

SSG6 wk2: Sing!

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@jerboa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ok...I hope that this fits the theme this week.

First I want to appologize, but I'm still stuck on the religious theme. I sing in a Sunday morning praise group, and just went to a Newsboys concert last weekend. Whatever else you say, they can really put on a show!!!!

So here is this week's input. For it, I took inspiration from John 5:13 - "Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing psalms."

The chorus is straight ahead pop, the verses have this suspension thing on every other line to resolve the rhymes. (I hope I am describing it well enough...I can't record anything and you wouldn't want to hear my playing anyway...6 months into guitar, I'm not much past strumming basic chords!)

Sing
-----
[v1]
Life is funny, it cuts both ways
From the top of the heap, to the junkyard in a day
At the lowest you have ever been
Its God that you turned to when you needed a friend
And like a friend, he is there for you
to pick you up, and dust you off, brand new
Now don't forget what He wants you to do
Grab a mic, think of a tune, and...

[chorus]

Sing
Like your heart's on fire
Sing
Of your soul's one desire
Sing
Because the One who was, and is to come
raises up your spirit when you...
Sing

[v2]
Prayers come easy when you're feeling low
Cut off from the world, when you're lost with nowhere to go
But do you think when the times are good
About our Lord, and praise him like you know that you should
So let this song be your wake up call
To praise the Lord, who is our all in all
Now head on out there have a ball
Just grab that mic, give a trumpet call, and...

[chorus]

[bridge]
Is anyone among you suffering?
Let your prayers be raised
Is anyone of cheerful heart?
Let him sing in praise.

And..

[chorus x2] (with descant) and out

edit: Changed the last line, first verse from "think up a tune" to "think of a tune", re: Montezuma's suggestion

There are two kinds of people in this world:
Those who think there are two kinds of people in this world, and those who don't

(@montezuma)
Estimable Member

Dont apologise for the theme - we all seem to stuck on Love & Loss so far :(
So its good to have some upliftment (is that a word?) even if we are of different faiths.
Last week I happened to be watchng TV when an Xtian group was singing. I was about to turn over when the song got me & ended up listening to about 6 songs. Two (for me) were foot stompingly good.
I made a mental note to focus more on the music and less on the source or genre.

Anyway, good song and as I say its upbeat.

Small comment - at the end of the first verse it says think up a tune . . . now if that was me, I would need to reach for a guitar, or keyboard, stare into the air for a few minutes, try a few notes and . . .give up :?

What Im trying to say is it suggested an impromptu composition - so perhaps pick a tune or choose a song would work better. Small point I know :)

Nice one
Cheers
Ola

“Poetry and Hums aren't things which you get, they're things which get you. And all you can do is go where they can find you.” - Winnie the Pooh

ReplyQuote