10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 Bob
(@bob)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hi Everyone

Maintaining our slightly left of centre approach for the last few weeks of this year's SSG this week's assignement is to write a song using geometry as the main source of imagery for the song. For example, square peg in a round hole, six degrees of separation, love triangle etc.

Good writing

Bob :wink:

My Soundclick Page

You are what you eat, eat well

(@katreich)
Prominent Member

Man, this is like that nightmare everyone has that finds you showing up for the final at school with no clue of how you got there and everything looks alien on the page.... or is it that you're naked???? I flunked geometry not once, but twice, in HS and again in college. HMMM, maybe I can write about that?

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

hmmm....didn't we do this one last year? I think it was the 2nd song I wrote for the SSG.....yep, year 2, week 33..."The circle, bent and broken"...

Oh well....if a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing twice....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Man, this is like that nightmare everyone has that finds you showing up for the final at school with no clue of how you got there and everything looks alien on the page.... or is it that you're naked???? I flunked geometry not once, but twice, in HS and again in college. HMMM, maybe I can write about that?

Glad to know I'm not the only one that had problems with geometry. :D

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I must have been one of the lucky ones then....I never had any trouble with maths at all, never mind geometry.....

Mind you my dad was an engineer, as was my grandad...I knew about micrometers and logarithms years before I actually got round to doing them in school.....still got a slide-rule somewhere....and I can still use it...

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

I must have been one of the lucky ones then....I never had any trouble with maths at all, never mind geometry.....

Mind you my dad was an engineer, as was my grandad...I knew about micrometers and logarithms years before I actually got round to doing them in school.....still got a slide-rule somewhere....and I can still use it...

Vic

Lol. I'm just a dumb old country boy. Algebra gave me fits. Never saw much sense in adding X and Y. :P Which is probably why I had problems with it. I didn't care. Although, I've yet to use that or geometry to balance my checking account or my budget. :P

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Never saw much sense in adding X and Y. :P Which is probably why I had problems with it. I didn't care. Although, I've yet to use that or geometry to balance my checking account or my budget. :P

You're not alone mate. :) Some months ago I read the results of a survey that showed that something like half the people questioned never even used subtraction once they left school, let alone algebra, geometry, calculus, or even division!

Apparently, a big chunk of people never use anything more than a bit of simple addition, and that's it.

I'm in Vic's camp (having trained in a branch of engineering) but I must admit I rarely use most of it now. A bit of basic accounting maths, occasional simple geometry on some building projects, and that's about it. The most use I'd have for formulae would be for making up Excel type spreadsheets.
still got a slide-rule somewhere....and I can still use it...

Hang onto it Vic. You can probably get a job demonstrating 'Forgotten Crafts 101 - The Slide Rule'..... "Ladies and Gentlemen, believe it or not, before the days of computers and calculators, people would do mathematical calculations on a sliding stick with numbers inscribed on the face. Elder Lewis has kindly volunteered to show us this ancient craft.... " :twisted:

Cheers, Chris

ReplyQuote
(@dustdevil)
Estimable Member

Sine's, sine's, everywhere sine's....
Do this, don't do that
Can't you read the sine? :D

John A.

They say only a pawnshop guitar can play the blues. An eBay one does it better. A guitar's bound to feel unloved if her owner plasters pictures of her over the internet for all to see and then sells her off to the highest anonymous bidder.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Now then John A., no going off at a tangent....

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@dustdevil)
Estimable Member

I think it has potential, but I'm still working on the CHORDS... :)

John A.

They say only a pawnshop guitar can play the blues. An eBay one does it better. A guitar's bound to feel unloved if her owner plasters pictures of her over the internet for all to see and then sells her off to the highest anonymous bidder.

ReplyQuote