All they can hear wedding bells
All we can do is wish them well

Chorus
Opposites attract
Opposites attract
He’s not pregnant, but she is

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Catchy little number. Good job on the harmonies and love the ending.

The whole songs sounds like something out of the early 60's song charts. Nice changes throughout.

On the lyric front, and this is a little nit or two, I sort of felt like I was expecting something along the lines of a resolution or a reason why a particular attribute mattered. I think it's only because of the "why is (s)he marrying ..." line in between the two. Perhaps a one attribute each per line that sort of perhaps contrast? I dunno. That might be an over-done thing.

Anyhow, very nice.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi Roy,
sort of felt like I was expecting something along the lines of a resolution or a reason why a particular attribute mattered. I think it's only because of the "why is (s)he marrying ..." line in between the two.

Yes, it's a tricky balance. I was hoping by stating what one partner was...it would imply what the other partner was not.....

example
She plays solitaire; works out at the gym......implies....
He does not play solitaire; He does not work out at the gym

etc....

but ultimately, the "punch line" or reason why they are getting married is she is pregnant (he is not) aka opposites....attracting :wink:

Thanks for the listen and post :D

James

ReplyQuote
(@john-sargent)
Noble Member

I like the whole thing, except for the punch line. I've expressed my dislike for plot twists before though so no new territory on my part.

ReplyQuote
(@hobson)
Noble Member

James, you have some nice descriptions that let us know what kind of person she is. But when it comes to describing him, you say "he's an extrovert." How about something like "he likes to be loud" or "he likes to party" or "he has dozens of friends?"

Same thing with the final chorus. Instead of "He's not pregnant, but she is," I think it would be better to say "the baby is his."

Renee

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Same thing with the final chorus. Instead of "He's not pregnant, but she is," I think it would be better to say "the baby is his."
The way it's said aids the opposites theme, but I would otherwise agree.
.... "he's an extrovert......."
In my profession, software engineer, an introvert looks at his own shoes and an extrovert looks at someone elses shoes. (Sorry, old programmers' joke.)

Jokes aside, I dug what you said. Using defining attributes of a personality type and then throwing in an actual type by name (extrovert) is a big step away from the established pattern.

James, not picking on you or nuttin like that. Just commenting on an observation.
Yes, it's a tricky balance. I was hoping by stating what one partner was...it would imply what the other partner was not.....
I got the point. Going back to another thread, I have difficulty with determining the levels of detail needed and the amount that should be taken as implied. As you may be able to tell from your brief look in to my song writing, I'm very undecided. A growing part of me wants to reduce verbiage and get on with references and metaphors.

Meanwhile, in thinking about what to write, I think I've decided that the he does - she does immediate result thing is more important if there is a benefit or some contention as a result. An example might be if she likes the middle of the pizza and he likes the crust, or any other scenario that occurs where one likes the unwanted section of the other's preference.

That's actually the angle I'm thinking of taking. I have not gotten far. :roll:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Poof Change made* :mrgreen:

He plays in a band; only owns two shirts

Hi Roy,

Thanks for the additional comments.
That's actually the angle I'm thinking of taking. I have not gotten far.
Keep at it :wink:

Hi Renee,
Instead of "He's not pregnant, but she is," I think it would be better to say "the baby is his."
I made the change to extrovert, but this line is the crux of the story/joke....without it the whole setup is meaningless.

Then again, it might not have been a strong enough concept to build a song around.

Hi John,
I like the whole thing, except for the punch line.
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, we can agree to disagree on punch lines. No worries there :wink:

ReplyQuote