Clear all

Y3W3....Ars Gratia Artis

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

OK, this was kind of inspired by a conversation I had with Pet earlier... about what is and isn't art....this is how I feel about it....

Ars Gratia Artis....

I see kids who look as if they've barely started school,
Painting the walls with aerosol sprays,
The grown-ups call it graffiti and vandalism,
But who decide's what's art these days?

I see Damien Hirst's "Sheep In Formaldehyde,"
And Tracey Emin's unmade bed,
That's not art to my way of thinking,
That's the product of a diseased head....

I see the names on the wall with multi-coloured haloes,
A lot of colour, some light relief,
I wish we could give those kids a break,
Who knows what they could achieve?

I heard about the pile of bricks, the desiccated turd,
Don't think I'll bother with the Tate Gallery,
If I want to see art I'll go visit the Louvre,
Or go and watch the kids on the street.....

Vic

By the way, "Jackson Pollock" is now officially cockney rhyming slang for rubbish...as in "Load of B****cks".......

So much for modern art.........

Give me a nice Constable landscape.......any day

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yes, I do have a chord pattern for this....too tired to post it now, I'll do it in the morning.....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@jpsuperstar)
Eminent Member

i laughed when you rhymed "turd" and "Louvre." i agree with your point, that the discrimination against graffiti artists because of their chosen (or forced) medium is wrong.

the structure kind of reminds me of a dylan tune, but with a sense of humour. which i guess is the criticism. if you're trying to get people to take street artists seriously, especially vs the old established art world, you might not want to make your song comical. If you're going to, make it full-blown satire; laughs that diminish the impact of a serious tune (although, a properly placed witicism can release tension and help deliver the message.. we all know this isn't an exact science).

but, good work : )
definitely the right direction

ReplyQuote
(@lotto-king)
Prominent Member

I like it
it has a sense of reality about it that one can connect with
great stuff
I think so anyway

Aghhhh

Not only am I a senior citizen

I'm now a bloody senior member

Are you people trying to tell me I'm old or what ?

over 700 posts ( I really do need to get out more )

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Hi Vic...

You might enjoy reading, Bluebeard, an old Kurt Vonnegut book which touches on the subject. In some ways your song lyric reminded me of that book.

Might I suggest being a little more proactive in one place and changing

I wish some one one would give those kids a break,

To:

Why don't we all just give those kids a break -

As always, a pleasure to read your material.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member

hi vic:)

hell, it took me ages to understand your little note beneath the song about cockney rhyming. but I got it now(thanks to rhymezone.com as my dictionary is...not sufficient)- quite funny once you get it :lol:

like the sentiment of your song, especially verse#2 , 'product of a diseased head' :lol:
...well I actually shouldn't laugh about it...don't even know the paintings you referred to...shame on me.

i know why mr. hodge suggested changing that one line but I still like the first version better..dunno...I don't judge graffiti art(ists) as I don't know much about it. some pics I like and some I don't but hey, let them do what they want.
graffiti is the word of the day. spoke about it in the English lesson, just read jsuperstar's submission(btw great!) and then your song:)

keep it up.
bluenightangel

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

ReplyQuote
(@p_allen)
Estimable Member

I like it, and it raises a good point.

I really like the way you've compared actual works of so called 'Modern Art' with more classical examples. This give your argument a lot more weight than just saying "this is good, that isn't!".

I'm not entirley sure on the meter, I haven't heard it only read it, but if I read it in a certain way it goes quite nicely.

I wouldn't mind hearing this one.

Well done,

Pete. :)

Why Do Other Peoples Shipbuilding When you Could Go Diving For Pearls Of Your Own?

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Just for clarification.....

Damien Hirst actually submitted a sheep in formaldehyde as an exhibit...likewise Tracey Emin submitted an unmade bed with the names of a hundred of her lovers scrawled around it (No wonder it was unmade....!!!!)......and the other two, a pile of bricks strewn about at random (and cunningly entitled "Bricks") and ---well the least said about the last one the better, were actually exhibited at the Tate Gallery. And people paid money to see them....

Art? Well like music, everyone's entitled to their own opinion....but when I see a dried dog's mess on the floor and some chinless wonder is wittering on about "cunning juxtaposition of line and shade, a vital and moving exhibit"....well yeah, it'd make me move all right...in the general direction of away....and it'd make me wonder what colour the sky was on his home planet......

:) :) :)

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

good read, I have always believed that one mans art is another mans garbage (or poop). :lol: :lol: art is kinda like a tv set, you don't have to look at it. But as I get older i try not to sound like my parents did when i bought my first Alice Cooper record :lol: :lol:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Re - D Hodge ...." more pro active"....how about "I wish we could give those kids a break"....fits the rhythm, and I know what you're saying...instead of being a by-stander, why not do something?.....

Does that fit better? ive edited the original post, seems to fit better to me anyhow....

Vic

ReplyQuote