Clear all

Y4 W10 - I'm Back! (With MP3)

18 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Actually I've never been away - "I'm Back" is the title...

I had a song on the go, but after reading Katreich's two songs, I sort of got the feeling that most of this week's songs are going to be about the rat-race, the tedium of the unrelenting daily grind, the depression of being stuck in a dead end job with no prospects, the days weeks months and years stretching ahead into infinity etc....

So I changed tack, so to speak, and looked at things from the other side of the fence - having been a single parent for 9 years, from when my youngest daughter was two, I know all about the monotony of spending every day the same, and being stuck in a rut with seemingly no way out - but I tried to be a bit more positive, and look for an uplifting ending - it might not read that way at first, but hey - I've got so much energy since I quit smoking (194 hours, 30 mins and still a smoke-free zone...) I feel as if a weight has been lifted from my shoulders and as if anything is possible...

Enough waffling, I hear you say, get on with it...OK, here you go....and the MP3 is in the usual place.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=225059

I'm Back!

Another hum-drum day in a so-so life,
Just another twenty-four hours to fill,
Time weighs heavily on my hands,
No reason to rush, I have time to kill....

Chorus....

One more soul-destroying aimless day,
I could stay in bed and waste my life away,
I should make an effort to get out more,
But I never seem to make it through the door...

So I make toast and a cup of tea,
A leisurely breakfast at my own pace,
Check the mail just demands and bills,
I'm in a rut so deep, my life is such a waste...

(Repeat Chorus)

Bridge....

I'm going to get control of my life,
No more letting it pass me by,
I've been too lacklustre for far too long,
I need to stand up straight, look the world in the eye...

So take a look at the remodelled me,
Finally facing reality,
Picking myself up off the floor,
I'm not going to waste a single day, any more,...

No more soul-destroying aimless days,
No more lazing, dreaming my life away,
I'm making the effort, I'm back on track,
So watch out world, I'm well and truly back.....
--------------------------------------------------------

I've got a pretty good idea of the chords I'm going to put to this, apart from the bridge - I've been messing around with a little riff for a while, min7ths, maj7ths, even a minor9th...I'll finish the bridge and post the song on soundclick later. (note - not "I'll try and finish this later....")

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@lotto-king)
Prominent Member

Hi Vic

Love yoour opening verse .. that describes my life ( lol )

Very easy to see a English man wrote this " cup of tea " if a American would have wrote it I'm sure it would have been coffee , ot if a Australian wrote it I'm sure it would have been peanuts and beer ....(LOL)

Really do like this Vic it seems so honest and real ..

Good writting Mr Lewis

mmmmm breathe that fresh air in ( proud of your will power )

L.K

Aghhhh

Not only am I a senior citizen

I'm now a bloody senior member

Are you people trying to tell me I'm old or what ?

over 700 posts ( I really do need to get out more )

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I like it. I can actually hear the melody as I read it, so I guess that means it flows nice...........I'm still new at this....

Congrats on quitting smoking by the way.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I almost thought that Eric bischoff had to do something with it.Nice song vic...

P.S. I have noticed that owa's avatar has changed again....

ReplyQuote
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

I like the departure form the same old "I hate my Job" Vic. And you can sure tell you are all about self improvemnet at the moment! Good job.

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

ReplyQuote
 Bob
(@bob)
Noble Member

Hey Vic

Good tack to take from the obvious daily grind and move it on. Look forward to hearing it.

When I read I did leave out words here and there as it seemed to flow inmy head but 'm sure if you've got an idea for music worked out it'll fit your way.

Nice idea done well.

Bob :wink:

My Soundclick Page

You are what you eat, eat well

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I think I'm going to have to ask Noteboat for help on this one, if I can't sort it out before morning - it's the bridge that's giving me trouble, that and the fact I've used minor 7ths for the verses....by the time I get to the bridge, I'm not even sure what key I'm in anymore....

OK, I'll try again in the AM.....but that bridge is REALLY stretching me, normally I'd reach for a cigarette....aaaaaaaaagh, I've quit.....

For once in my life, I could do with an early night....and for once (maybe twice!!!) I think that's just what I'll do - and come back to it in the AM......

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Hopefully when you come back in the morning you'll find you like it a lot. I do.

For the bridge, since it's where things start to turn positive, why not switch over to a major key? You could either do the relative major (C if you're in A minor, for instance) or really give it a kick by going to the real major (A if you were in A minor) (and again, using Am as an example). That would certainly give you a positive attitude musically.

Looking forward, as always, to more of your work.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

David, thanks so much for the suggestion -

verses are four lines of Em7, Am7, Bm7, last line finishing on Bm9 then Bm7 again - then the chorus is two lines of Emaj7 Ebmaj7 and Dmaj7, then two lines of G and A, finishing with C and Cm to lead back into the verse....

I took your advice for the bridge - and hey I think I've learned a bit of theory here! Because you can use Em7 as a substitute (I didn't have to ask Tom after all, this was in one of his articles a couple of months or so back - chord substitution - so Thanks Very Much AGAIN, Noteboat....what would we do without you!!!) for Gmaj, I used G Eb and D for the first three lines, and the same chords for the fourth line, but finishing on C and then Cm to lead back into the last verse, which I've kept the maj 7th chords for....I upped the tempo for the bridge, and kept the same tempo for the last verse and chorus.....

Now I have a new problem.....it's in a truly horrible key for me!!!

I've recorded the backing track, seems fine - but no way can I sing it!!! Sooo - I'm waiting for the daughter to come back from her friend's house, maybe she can have a go at it....

Because I'm playing the Em7 at the 7th fret, and the Emaj7 in the same place - the whole song is in barre chords...going to be a bugger to transpose....

UNLESS - someone fancies a collaboration? I could send a backing track, and a backing track with a rough (very rough!) vocal to give an idea of the phrasing - any takers?

It's got a sort of jazzy feel to it - might just suit a female voice better than a male.....

Vic

PS for a male singer, it might suit someone with a deep voice - where's Twisted Fingers when you need him!!!!

ReplyQuote
 Bob
(@bob)
Noble Member

Hi Vic

have you tried a capo on the 7th fret? I'm a huge fan of the capo.

In this case the following chords can be played as if you were at the nut position and they translate to the chords in your song as

Nut Position Vic's Song
Am7 Em7
Dm7 Am7
Em7 or Em9 Bm7 or Bm9
Amaj7 Emaj7
C G
D A

The only truly horrible one is the Ebmaj7 which can be played in its natural position at the elventh fret and the Dbmaj7 played with the same Ebmaj7 shape on the 9th fret

Sounds lovely

Bob :wink:

My Soundclick Page

You are what you eat, eat well

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

The "home" key seems to be G....I'd have to transpose it to D to be able to sing it...the barre chords aren't the problem, like I said, I've done the backing track, it just needs a vocal - daughter tried it, she'd need it to be in Eb or some such key...anyway, she tried it two different ways, and couldn't get the high notes one way, couldn't gett the low notes the other way...

also, in the chorus and bridge, there are a couple of places where I go from A down to G via Ab - and from Emaj7 to Dmaj7 via Ebmaj7 - they're only transitional chords, but I don't want to lose them, they seem to add a little colour....

Grrr, I'm going to have another go at the vocal and put it up on soundclick - it's too difficult to describe without hearing the music....

I was quite pleased with this one as well - a real departure for me, experimenting with a different style....

Oh well - back to Audacity......

Vic

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Hey Vic,

Isn't it amazing how much time you have
when you're not spending it smoking?

Good luck with this one I can't wait to hear it

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Oh well - I managed to get a vocal done, although the voice wavered a little on the high notes - I still think it needs someone with a deeper voice than mine, so like I said, if anyone fancies having a go at a vocal on this, I can e-mail you the backing track, you'd just have to add a vocal....

I have to say though, I am very pleased with the guitar track - if anyone's interested, I played my Squier Tele through a 30W Roland Cube bass amp, bass setting 3, middle 4, treble 8 - through the clean channel, reverb on full, chorus on full, shape setting on TE - whatever that is!!!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=225059

Vic

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Vic,

You should be pleased with the guitar track it
is very good. The vocals work well although
for some reason I could hear Pbee singing
this one.

Good Job

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, funny, I thought of PBee as well - might suit his voice...also thought of Geoo, Beans, Scratchmonkey and Twisted Fingers - trouble is, they'd all have to change "Tea" to "Coffee".....

I am very pleased the way the guitar track turned out, usually it's played with lots of distortion on the "Metal Stack" setting....or an acoustic ballad...as an experiment in trying something different, I think this one worked.....but I'm damned if I know how to label it, I put it under "Acoustic Rock" even though it's played on electric....any suggestions as to how to categorise it would be welcome.....

Anyway, like I said, anyone wants to have a go at the vocals, be my guest.....

Vic

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2