Y5week49 post it notes

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@straycat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

hej hej..

this should have been easy.. :wink: well.. anyhow..
here are the post it notes scattered on my desk.

Tiptoe through tulips
A subtle earthquake
Postcard of a lighthouse
Songs to put on tapes

cheers,
straycat.

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

Tiptoe through tulips

No way that I can ever get Tiny Tim's version of Tiptoe Through the Tulips out of my head when I see this song title. :shock:

A subtle earthquake

First thoughts - love song. Feeling of "You grew slowly on me, but the effect was profound"...
Second thoughts - Seedy inner city room with the passing of Underground/Metro/Tube trains (or whatever they're called) regularly rattling the walls. Urban loneliness contrasted with the irony of all those potential friends/contacts/stories rumbling past only a few feet away yet unreachable.

Postcard of a lighthouse

"Postcards" is a title often used to indicate short sketches rather than full stories and "To The Lighthouse" was a Virginia Woolf story. According to Wikipedia "The book outsold all Woolf's previous novels, and the proceeds enabled the Woolfs to buy a car." So I'd be tempted to skip references to shipwrecks, seaside romances or introspective gazing across oceans, and write a song sketch about Virginia Woolf's car instead... :wink:

Songs to put on tapes

Despite coming from the vinyl LP era, the word "tapes" already sounds old fashioned to me. I haven't put anything on tape for years. So that one has a nostalgia feel for me - revisiting tapes I made back in the student days perhaps, and what all the emotions of the time were.

It also reminded me of an apparently true story that I heard about a few months back. I may have some of the details wrong (it was a snippet on the radio while I was driving). If I recall correctly, it was about a guy who was a music critic or DJ (or both?) whose chat up line as a young nerd had been to offer to make compilation cassette tapes for any girl he fancied. This had actually worked with the girl he married (or at least become his partner ?) But she had died very young. He was left with a stack of all the compilation tapes he'd made for them to listen to. A sort of 'soundtrack to their lives'. If I heard right, he had written a book all about it, using the tapes as the central theme. Could be a Straycat type song in that story I think. :)

Cheers,

Chris

cheers,
straycat.

ReplyQuote