Clear all

SSG5 Week 49 - Titles

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@slowplay)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Wow, lots of good titles going on. We've got so much goodness, I've only made it through about half of them so far. So, to add my pennies to the wealth:

The New Magic - a phrase I lifted from an article on the first Spiderman movie ( back in the 60's radiation was popularly known about, but not commonly understood, so in the comic books Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider and bam! he got super powers; in the 00's, the new magic is genetic engineering, so in the movie, Peter Parker is bitten instead by a genetically modified spider )

Fables for Fooling Myself - this just sorta developed driving home from [Canadian] Thanksgiving dinner.

Please Don't Confront Me With My Mistakes - this was a caption of a pic on Flickr that I stumbled upon.

Ice cream is a dish best served cold.

(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

Good to see you here at SSG again. :)

The New Magic

Interesting backstory on Spiderman. Didn't know any of that.

I guess it's hard to avoid a flash of Harry Potter these days when Magic is mentioned, so I'd probably wander down that track for a while. Perhaps a song about how The New Magic is still a lot like The Old Magic, and whether it's Merlin the Wizard from legends of King Arthur, Rincewind from Discworld, Harry Potter, or a Mage character from the latest computer RPG, we all love a bit of Magic. Could even be a song about the magic of Science. Anybody written a song about Quantum Mechanics yet?? :wink:

Maybe try a different tack with speculating on where young stars like Daniel Radcliffe can take their life and career after something as defining as Harry Potter? Or just a good old fashioned love song about the New Magic in your life?? Lots of angles to peer round....

Fables for Fooling Myself

I'm hearing something James Taylorish here. Fooling myself about love? Fooling myself about a goal I'd set? Maybe even fooling myself that I could do justice to a song with this title??

Please Don't Confront Me With My Mistakes

Could be sad and wistful, sung from either a female or male perspective. Or perhaps quite aggressive - Don't Confront Me! - Stop Nagging Me!. Interesting theme, but I'm not sure that I'd want to be the one writing it. It could be quite emotionally tiring trying to give it the full treatment, particularly with a mistakes history as comprehensive as mine....

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

SP,

Like Chris said "Good to see you here at SSG again. :)
The New Magic

This reminds me of Frank Sinatra's "That Old Black Magic"
So maybe a song about returning the spark to an old relationship?

Interesting title. I'm not sure I agree with Chris on James Taylor though.
Maybe something more modern.

Makes me thing of Jonny Lang's "Lie To Me"
Let's pretend even if it's only for the night.

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@montezuma)
Estimable Member

The New Magic
The New Magic
Hmm - suggests something technological to me. Or, a new relationship?
Fables . . .
Well I guess the title suggests something about self-delusion but is doesn't bring anything specific to my mind.
This one shouts out relationship to me - I think Chis has summed it up. Lots of potential here though. Regrets etc.
Cheers
Ola

“Poetry and Hums aren't things which you get, they're things which get you. And all you can do is go where they can find you.” - Winnie the Pooh

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member

"Fables for fooling myself" is beautiful.
memories of times you thought were sundrenched.. wondering if they really were.. and if they were how come you ended up here.. bird-cat-story basically :wink:

i think you got a great starting point here.
cheers,
straycat.

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Hi Rob,

for me "Please Don't Confront Me With My Mistakes" is a great title an certainly my favourite of your offerings. I think this title would allow the song to go anywhere. Im hearing quite a strong beat with this one and maybe a pause just before the punchline.

for me this is a slightly esoteric song, I think the punchline might be a bit hard to sing

The New Magic
well that could be anything so plenty of scope here

cheers

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Cool titles....

The New Magic - suggests to me (bearing in mind this is a guitar forum!) a new guitar - you've been playing second division guitars all your life, then something happens and you buy (in my case!) a new Telecaster....in anyone else's case, Strat/LP/SG or whatever your fancy....

or it could be just finding a great riff.....or you come up with a really good chord progression....

Fables For Fooling Myself... cool title, but not so easy to fit into a song - gives a lot of ideas, though, along the lines of "I thought this was pretty cool, but obviously you did'nt".....

Please Don't Confront Me With My Mistakes.....sounds C&W to me, we've all had those arguments that start off about something happening now, and disintegrate or degenerate into "well there was that time when you......" that's the feeling I get from that one anyway....could be subtitled "Please Don't Confront Me With My Mistakes (Yours Are Bigger Than Mine....)

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote