Notifications
Clear all

Y6W22- When Boudreux Went To Hell

19 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

As for the two lines- hope you're having fun and it being a sin. I was going for a little bit of irony there, kind of a few tongue-in-cheek lines fron the prince of darkness. But maybe it didn't work if other folks aren't getting that.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I was gonna quote Vic's comments on this point and then simply write "irony?" - to me, the reference to music being a sin has that classic Bob Dylan (and others) twist to it that makes it stand out and really resonate with the listener. Just my .02 - I got it, anyways, and I'd be sad to see it go.
Plus 1 from me on that statement Scrybe ...

Very interested in hearing this

Trev.. :wink:

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

[
I was gonna quote Vic's comments on this point and then simply write "irony?" - to me, the reference to music being a sin has that classic Bob Dylan (and others) twist to it that makes it stand out and really resonate with the listener. Just my .02 - I got it, anyways, and I'd be sad to see it go.

Don't worry, guys; I'm not going to lose those lines. Now I got to do the hard work of getting down the performance of this piece. As I said in my last post, I want to play it for some true Louisiana folks when I go camping this weekend and gauge the reaction. That means I got to get this done tonight.

I'll let you all know how the local jury rules.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

As I said in my last post, I want to play it for some true Louisiana folks when I go camping this weekend and gauge the reaction. That means I got to get this done tonight.

I'll let you all know how the local jury rules.

If you don't post for three weeks, shall we send out the search party? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sure it'll go great. 8)

(btw, thanks for posting on my fave song lyrics thread...you've given me someone 'new' to check out there!)

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Thanks, Vic, for your comments. Many of those same thoughts crossed my mind as I went over it, the thing about him arriving at hell so many times. I let it go. See, I'm an engineer and if you know engineers, they can get real anal about everything being literally accurate. I figured that might not be such a good thing in songwriting; sometimes you need to let that sort of thing go for artistic impact. Not sure if that's the case here or not, it just seemed to me that the same lead-in line for each verse kind of tied it all together, I don't know.

As for the two lines- hope you're having fun and it being a sin. I was going for a little bit of irony there, kind of a few tongue-in-cheek lines fron the prince of darkness. But maybe it didn't work if other folks aren't getting that.

Ah, I see now. Unfortunately, some of the subtle nuances of inflection (for instance the way a vocal line is delivered) are lost when you're looking at plain lyrics - yes, now I can see how it might work.

Dad was an engineer, so was HIS dad - so I grew up learning how to use a slide rule and a micrometer LONG before I ever saw them at school. So yes, I see what you're getting at! As for the lead-in line, yes, it does serve as an introduction to each verse - but if it's a point that a couple or more people are making, it might be worthwhile trying a little variation.

I sometimes wonder when I'm writing - am I pitching this too subtly? Not subtly enough? Will people like this line, or that line? I usually think, hell with it, I'll do it my way first THEN see if anyone points out something that needs changing. After all, if the writer doesn't like it, probably no-one else will either! In other words, be yourself. I hope you get this finished to YOUR satisfaction - if you're happy with the end product, that'll probably come across to the reader/listener, too.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2