Clear all

Y6W33 - Beauty, Sleeping (with MP3)

18 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

This is based on an idea suggested by CitiZenNoir - he picked a couple of artists for me, I did the same for him. I won't mention the artist who it's supposed to be written for - half the fun will be in seeing if anyone can get it!

EDIT - MP3 added Tues 17th, also changed the title. Here's the link - http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=225059 - just click on "Beauty, Sleeping"

The Sleeping Castle (not too fond of that title, but then coming up with original titles has never been my strongest point!)

As the first new rays of the gentle rising sun,
Cast shadows on cold grey courtyard stones,
Kings and Queens and Pharaohs take their leave....

As a pale dove spreads her silken wings,
High above the early morning dew,
Minstrels poets and jesters grieve....

An old woman mumbles incantations,
While a princess dreams as she sleeps,
Of a prince's kiss to end her mournful slumber,
As the angels softly weep.....

A rider, far off in the distance,
Approaches a castle bound by thorns,
A lone wolf howls as the horseman spurs his steed.....

OK, working on the music which is nearly finished - that's actually been the hardest part, lots of little fills and minor added 9ths and 6ths and even a chord I've "invented" - well, discovered by accident anyway, whatever the heck it is! Just got to put it all together.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@ccourtney)
Trusted Member

Vic,
I'd love to jam with you on this one.

The imagery is very strong and I think this would fit into either a howliing shriek or subtle, ethereal vocal groove.

Look forward to hearing it recorded.

Ciao,

Chris

http://www.myspace.com/courtneychris

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

This is based on an idea suggested by CitiZenNoir - he picked a couple of artists for me, I did the same for him. I won't mention the artist who it's supposed to be written for - half the fun will be in seeing if anyone can get it!

I think I know.
Am I allowed to say?

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I think I know.
Am I allowed to say?

Go for it, Ken!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Straycat?
ummm . . poets and jesters . . .
A rider, far off in the distance . . .
a lone wolf howls . . .
Dylan? All Along the Watchtower?
I give up

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Ummm - keep trying. I can see why you'd think it was Straycat, and I see how you'd think it was Dylanesque in a Watchtowery kind of way - that's closer than you'd think!

Vic

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

OK, you're teasing me.
I'll take one more stab at it.
Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Straycat?
ummm . . poets and jesters . . .
A rider, far off in the distance . . .
a lone wolf howls . . .
Dylan? All Along the Watchtower?
I give up

All along the Watchtower was my guess too. So I'll have a bob on Jimi as well. It also reminded me a bit of some of Donovan's stuff, although I can't think of anything specific. There was a bit of fad for that kind of Prince/Princess, velvet trousers and lace cuffs, hawk on the hand stuff, way back then. A fair few folkies got into it, and I think even the Stones had a nod in that direction. Should be a clue in the music, which sounds interesting.

Looking good so far anyway.

Chris

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Vic

Very nice imagery you got going there!

I'm going have to follow the crowd and go with Jimi also.

Not just because of the lyrics but some else you said
OK, working on the music which is nearly finished - that's actually been the hardest part, lots of little fills and minor added 9ths and 6ths and even a chord I've "invented" - well, discovered by accident anyway, whatever the heck it is! Just got to put it all together.....

Yeah that sounds like Hendrix to me.

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yeah that sounds like Hendrix to me.

Well fingers crossed you all think so when I get to record it tomorrow.....

And as for the weird chord, I think I've worked out what it is. I was looking for a transitional chord to get me from G6 - played 355030 - to Amaj7 - played x02120 and accidentally put the Amaj7 chord on a fret too high, and played this..x03230. It sounded good so I kept it in! Working it out, there are F, A, D and E notes in there; with D as the root, the D F and A notes would make Dm, and the E note's an added 9th....there's no 7th, so it'd have to be Dm(add9.) I think.....

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well, when I said tomorrow, I actually meant today.....

Finished the music - added the MP3. There's a couple of places I'm not happy with it, but then again, I should have practised a bit more before recording. Phew, this one was a toughie! Way outside my usual range - but I've tried to do it justice. Now I've got to work on a solo - that'll be fun!

Vic

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Vic,

I like the chord progression.
You really managed to get the Hendrix feel.

I wasn't expecting to vocally get Hendrix's but this works well
in your style.

I do agree with you about practice before recording.
(I usually end practicing while recording doing multiple tracks until I find one I like)
There are a few hesitations that I'm sure you could
nail with little effort.

I would love for you to record this again after you're
more comfortable with it ad give it all you got.

I really think this song deserves the extra work.

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Good job with the recording Vic. As John did with the recorded song that he posted, you managed to completely surprise me with how you were playing and singing, so you seem to be well on track with the brief of stepping away from your normal style.

I agree with John that you could squeeze a bit more out of the song, but unfortunately I'm not experienced enough to pass an opinion on how and where. I'm a total newb when it comes to recording and production values. I don't know how to put it, but it was almost as if something wasn't quite there that I was half expecting. No idea what - it could have been anything from a small change of tone to a touch of strings here and there, or something. Dunno.... pretty useless comment I guess. Trying to figure out music is proving to be endlessly intriguing - every time I manage to squeeze one door open a bit, there turns out to be half a dozen more doors behind it that I need to find a key for...

Anyway, I liked it enough to listen through four times in a row, which I guess counts as a four star rating. :)

Chris

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I'd like to hear that at double tempo.
What's the musical term?
Al dente . . . no, that's for pasta . . .
umm
allegro, yeh that's it

Presto, baby.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I don't know how to put it, but it was almost as if something wasn't quite there that I was half expecting.

Umm, that'd probably be bass, drums, a guitar solo and a lot of genius - all missing. I will get around to re-recording this - I've been practising the music, and think I've got it down now. I need to mess around with Audacity some more - I can't seem to get a decent recording, although that may be this lap-top.

It's also one of those songs it's very difficult to play and sing at the same time, as the lyrics are kind of weaving in and around the music. I tried to get a fairly unconventional feel to the whole thing - three line verses, which keeps throwing me every time I play it - I always play a third line the same as the first two!

I'll try and re-record it later.

Vic

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2