Clear all

Y8 W32 - C'mon England!

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

It's hard for a man of my age to take - some of the greatest players in the world have played for England in the last 44 years since we last won the World Cup. Hell, we INVENTED the game.....

I don't really have high hopes of us doing well in South Africa - but I'll always hope against hope that our lads won't find a way to screw things up. Having said that, we've got a pretty good team....and of course, I'm going to support England.

So here's my effort for this week....

C'mon England!

It's been a long time, since we've had a good old sing and shout,
It's been quiet on the terraces, nothing to shout about,
But now this golden generation, is in the last chance saloon,
One chance to prove we're good, South Africa's coming soon....

So come on England, it's been so long, yeah, way too long,
Since we won the World Cup or even had a decent World Cup song,
Back Home and World in Motion, are oh so far away,
I want Three Lions on that shirt, and the Jules Rimet.....

1966, I was just a kid, I watched every game,
I knew those English boys were heading for fame,
It was destiny, our history, we knew we were going to win,
And now I've got a good good feeling, about 2010....

Some people are on the pitch - they think it's all over..
IT IS NOW!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Hi Vic,

It reads well :D
Some people are on the pitch - they think it's all over..
IT IS NOW!

I imagine this is a spoke part, so maybe it would come across clearer when heard. I'm not sure what these lines mean.
Who are the "some people" players? fans? They think what is over? the game? the final match? their hope? "It" is now....What is "IT" ?

Suggestion:
This works, but it's kind of taking the focus off a pep talk to complain about the music....if that's the intention, it comes across. Another idea would be to keep the focus on the pep talk For example:

Since we won the World Cup (or HAD/TO HAVE) SOMETHING DECENT WORTH SINGING ABOUT

Thanks for sharing.

James

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for comments, James...

"Some people are on the pitch - they think it's all over - IT IS NOW!" is our most beloved soundbite, ever....here's a link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wyLvagyApY

That's why I threw THAT particular quote in....as for the rest of your comments, I'll take them on board....what I was trying to do was equate the last time England won the WC with the last time we actually produced a decent song for the fans to sing along to - although, strictly speaking, that doesn't work - "Three Lions" was a GREAT song about football, but it was directed at a bunch of under achievers....

Oh, for the glory days of "World Cup Willie!" and Lonnie Donegan......

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

There'll always be an England! :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

is our most beloved soundbite, ever....here's a link.
Thanks for the clarification, Vic. At least I was right about it being a speaking part :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I wondered when you'd write something like this.

Second line, I'd change "shout about" to "cheer about" or "brag about", as the rhyme is with the line above. The double rhyme here doesn't work for me.

I had to look up Jules Rimet, so perhaps you might vary one chorus to include "that golden trophy"?

Also, any way to "add a star" above the 3 lions shield?

I'll get you a program while we're there. 8)

@BlindKiwi: At least you have 2 ref crews going! US has none. :?

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I had to look up Jules Rimet, so perhaps you might vary one chorus to include "that golden trophy"?

I'll get you a program while we're there. 8)

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: You're going to the World Cup?!? :shock: :shock: :shock: And you didn't get the "Jules Rimet" reference?!?

I'm sorry Laz, but you've just forfeited your tickets. Didn't you know that was a basic fact you have to get right on the "Football and WOrld Cup Trivia Quiz" in order to be able to use those tickets? No? Well, I passed (with distinction), so if you could just mail those tickets you have to Miss Scrybe Zizou, Flat 66, Pele Towers, Eusebio Lane, Cryuff Moores, Beckenbauershire, E66 1PY..... :wink:

Good song, Vic - looking forward to hearing an mp3 of this!

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Listen here young lady! :D I'm old enough to have seen Beckenbauer (the original "Becks") and Pele live when they played for the NY Cosmos, and I coach the signature Cruyff and Belladonna (oops, Maradona) moves to my team.

And you know very well why I don't know the name of the WC Trophy - we've never won it! :shock:

So yes, we'll be at a round-of-16 and a quarter-final in J-burg. You can see the souveniers when you visit.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

the NY Cosmos
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't forget the current legend (and dunno why he isn't in the USA team...), Woody Harrelson - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh3mr8Ez4tg&feature=related

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

So yes, we'll be at a round-of-16 and a quarter-final in J-burg.

So if the results go the way I've predicted them, you could be in for a treat.... there are two last sixteen matches scheduled for Jo'Burg, I reckon Argentina v Uruguay (or possibly Mexico) will be one, and Brazil v Chile the other.

For the Q/F's at Jo'Burg, I reckon you could be watching either France v England or Italy v Spain. Although, if the USA top their group and win their last 16 match (probably against Australia) you could be watching France v USA.....

Group C (England, USA, Slovenia, Algeria) is going to be a bad one to finish 2nd in - it'd mean a last 16 match against Germany, a 1/4 final v Argentina, and a semi-final v Spain.....to face Brazil in the Final. So that England v USA match is looking to be a must-win game to top the group!

Vic

ReplyQuote