10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi all....

How y'all doing?

Things are a bit quiet at work so gave me an ideal opportunity to exercise my song-writing fingers....

Ok, now I'm not well up on playing blues progressions so bear with me... :roll: I've written this as an 8 bar, but I reckon it could be reworked to 12 if needed - I think I need to play around with the progression, but couldn't wait to get it posted and you lot loose on it....

There's a couple of things going on within the song so it's pretty mixed up, but I think you'll get the gist :? Maybe one of you blues guys or gals might want to have a go at recording?

Broken Small Screen Blues

I've lost my love
The love of my life
She's gone for good
Just left with a wife
I should have held her
Like a baby bird
But she fell from my fingers
Lyin' broken in the dirt

Ohhh me, Oooooh my
I can't sleep. I just cry.
All my messages of love
All my images in you
Lie in bits across the sidewalk
I've got the broken small screen blues

No need for makeup
On her sweet square face
That familiar shape
I can never replace
She's gone forever
Guess my number is up
I won't be drinking
From the devils cup

Ohhh me, Oooooh my
All my messages of hope
All my images in you

Can't calculate
This loss of mine
Can't call the office
Can't tell the time
Don't know the number
Of my favourite bar
Can't hear the sound
Of my old guitar

Ohhh me, Oooooh my
All my messages of lust
All my images in you

So I guess I'll have to
Make a difficult choice
One of the hardest
To hear your voice
I'll go to the phone shop
To find something new
To try and cure me
From these small screen blues

Ohhh me, Oooooh my
All my messages have gone
All my images in you

Thanks for reading.

Rock on!
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

(@olivernorth23)

Nice work Dylan. In my head it actually sound more like an old country song. Something like Hank Williams' Jambalaya. Thanks for posting man!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

DYLAN! Soooo good to see you back, old friend!

Song works for me - I really like Blind Kiwi's suggestion for the music, too, even though I was thinking along a different path....

Tiny quibble - "all my images in you" - got to change that to "all my images OF you..." and that's about all I can find fault with. Play it, sing it...you might find you need to rephrase a line or two, though they all scan well to me. Get it recorded! - and.......as a wise man once said...

Rock On!

8) 8) 8)

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hey Peter, yes, I think twelve bar will be easier than eight...

I started playing it and immediately reverted to 12 bar anyway :roll:

Hi Vic. Thanks for the welcome....feels like I've never been away... :wink:

I can see where you are with the change about the images, but I'm kinda thinking that the images were inside the phone, hence all my images in you - it's a play on words - images 'of' you.... huh, ok, well....

Yup, will need rephrasing and more work with the 12 bar - not bad for an hours work though, even if I say it myself... :cry: :D

Rock on!
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I can see where you are with the change about the images, but I'm kinda thinking that the images were inside the phone, hence all my images in you - it's a play on words - images 'of' you.... huh, ok, well....

Yep, you right, me wrong.....it just LOOKED funny, but now you've pointed it out, it's obvious. Leave it as it is.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Very clever, though I had to read it twice to catch that it was a cell phone. Maybe a reference to the keyboard/buttons in the second verse? I'm being picky (or just slow). I definitely felt the pain of not knowing any phone numbers, as they're in the cell phone! I've had that happen.

I've lost my love
The love of my life
She's gone for good
Just left with a wife

I'm not sure I get the "wife" reference. If you're looking for a rhyme, the perhaps knife or strife would work better.

ReplyQuote
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Laz...

Well, there's a lot going on in this song which maybe isn't so obvious (and maybe should be made more obvious) :?

The guy has busted his cell and is completely lost because he uses it for everything. The other problem is he's having a love affair, not only with his mobile phone, but with another woman and all her details, intimate and otherwise are on that sim card but there's other things that are in the phones memory and he won't get them back. Hence, loses both his loves in one clumsy slip and is left with nothing but his wife (which I thought might help the listener understand that he's not happy with his lot and there's 'something' going on.

He really loved his old cell, but he's going to have to get one of these new fangled devices which just doesn't have the same feeling of his first phone, but needs one to retrieve the info on his card to contact his second love...

Phew, what a complicated life he leads!

Maybe it needs a few more words here and there - well, changing from 8 to 12 bar does allow....

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. :wink:

Rock on!
D 8)

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member

Hi Dylan,

Nice to see you posting again. :D Good start on this one. I kind of picked up a hint of the affair at the beginning of the song but rest of the song didn't support the idea....it supported the idea of the love/lust of technology. :P

Suggestion:
Can't calculate
This loss of mine
Can't call the office
Can't tell the time
Don't know the number
Of my favourite bar
Can't hear the sound
Of my old guitar

This list as is supports many uses/loves for the phone.

If you wanted to keep the affair idea going/stronger, maybe this section could be the list detailing affair attributes:

can't remember the lies to the wife, his reservation for a secret get-away etc.....or maybe he slips up....

He says to his wife,"I have to cover for Bob on the out of town convention. His mom died"
She says, "Funny... that's the second time Bob's mom has died this year" :lol:

Thanks for sharing. :D

James

another title could be iBlues :P

ReplyQuote
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi James

Yeh, nice to be back...if only for a brief visit... :(

Yeh, I need to mix it up a bit I think. One for a winters' evening I fear....

Good to see you're all still 'at' it....

Rock on!
D 8)

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member

cool :D

and, as i'm a sucker for songs with ohs and ahs, i must say i adore the "ohhh me, oooooh my" bits, will sure be fun singing! (for some reason i'm hearing your with a "my my hey hey (out of the blue)" sound now :D )
(took me a while to get the phone bit.. thought it was a computer or tv set at first :oops: )

cheers,
straycat.

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

ReplyQuote