You make me jealous before you decide to share
Sitting on pool bottoms laughing in lawn chairs

Chorus 2

You demand my affection with grass-stained knees
You command my attention like a brain freeze

Chorus 2

(@straycat)
Noble Member

AW! James, these lyrics are magnificent!
Must say, the music caught me off guard a bit though, was expecting something more playful, and, thanks to the last post of yours I read, soemthing more lo-fi! :P

Anyhow, back to the lyrics. Boy, this is inspiring!
I could quote almost every line and find only inadequate words to express my admiration.. wish I could live (in) them :D
Love the way you take words out of their usual context a bit and how you personify (if that word can be stretched to incorporate something like "fudgesicle elbow" :lol: so cool! had to google fudgesicle and, subsequently, cursed you under my breath with jealousy :lol: I want one now! :D )!

"unwrap summer in lemon-lime sunshine" that alone is a marvellous thoughtpicture!
"peach rooftops" aww!

Being partial to anyone who's partial to childhood, I beamed at "I'm 7 years old again" and "sitting on pool bottoms" (under water, that is, I imagine.. difficult to do, for a longer period at any rate! :wink: ) and "grass-stained knees" :note1: :note2: :note1:

Only 2 things I wonder about:
1) the line "it's the kind of sticky mess that kids love so" seems a bit awkward/stands out somehow... I think it's only the last bit "that kids love so" that I find strange... maybe because it interrupts all the fun imagery by stepping outside and looking at it from a (grown-up?) distance (if read wrongly may even have the faintest scent of condascension?) .. hmm.. can't think of any suggestion though...

2) "cappuccino lips on peppermint breath" ... threw me a bit, mainly because I like neither of these tastes and, thus, failed to understand the jealousy :lol: and then I thought, wait a moment, this breaks with the childhood notion, too... but then realized, yes, well, probably is supposed to, because the song seems to be about adults (wearing watches, liking cappuccino..) re-lapsing a bit into childhood for a summer (day) - so everything fine there, I withdraw my doubts :D

And just one more thing before I go on dreaming about pancakes on peach rooftops: the "brain freeze" is a beautiful final image, too (esp. because it, at least for me, combines the adult/childhood elements.. brain freeze in the sense of being somewhat paralysed by someone you like.. and in the sense of the feeling you sometimes get while eating a big heap cold ice cream on a hot day)!

So, all my ramblings amount to the following: great job on the imagery, James!
I am head over heels :D
Cheers,
straycat.

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

ReplyQuote
(@jamestoffee)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi Straycat,

I'm glad you liked a lot of this song. I was really trying to put my "straycat" thinking cap on for this one. :mrgreen:
I was even tempted to throw in a line about your "Strawberry Knight" If I remember correctly :D

Basically, I tried to create a simile or metaphor of summer as an "icy frozen treat"....popsicle/ice-cream/snowcone etc... and tried to use flavors as colors and emotions :roll:
"fudgesicle elbow" :lol: so cool!
You're lyrics were a seed of that idea when you used "pancake knees" in the song for children. Imitation is the highest form of flattery :wink:
"sitting on pool bottoms"
Yeah that one was a bit of creativity-gone-wild, at first I was thinking literal bottom of the pool....but then I pictured "pool bottoms" to mean wet bathing suits > pool=wet, bottoms=swimming trunks.....picturing two friends/summer loves relaxing in lawn chairs drying out after just having had a swim in the pool.
"it's the kind of sticky mess that kids love so"
That could have different interpretations....the innocent child-like one is b/c the watch melts it represents kids don't keep track of time especially in the summer....also kids like mud, finger painting and messy popsicles/ice-creams....the parents are the ones bothered and cleaning them up......
.....It could have an implication of something else as well but not meant to be a condescending remark....more in the avenue of summer loves in a physical sense....."kids" meaning teen-agers or young adults or "young-at-heart adults"....but no need to rabbit trail that way to get overly graphic :oops:

The word ideas came from an innocent source though:
http://williamjames2008.blogspot.com/

you have to scroll down a bit to reach this part:
Wednesday, May 5, 2010
How to Eat a Popsicle
Step 1: Take off all your clothes.
Step 2: Open popsicle and taste
Step 3: Make your brother jealous by eating the popsicle right in his face.....
..but then decide to share some with him. ******MAKINGS OF THE "cappuccino lips on peppermint breath" VERSE
Step 4: Figure out how to get that last bite of popsicle
(note: He wasn't able to figure out how to get that last bite...it ended up on the ground)
Step 5: Clean Up (and work off the sugar high)!

"cappuccino lips on peppermint breath"
Spoiler Alert
It's probably best for the listener to have there own memories to bring to the images, but for me it was about trying to get a first kiss from the friendship blooming into summer love
brain freeze in the sense of being somewhat paralysed by someone you like..
Yes, you got the gist of this one...emotional freeze.....ice-cream freeze.....It could be about a person for sure....in my mind it was actually singing about personifying summer This idea came from a quote something like "Summer demands our attention"....Oh! here I found the quote/poem again:
http://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1009002-Summer
In August, Summer demands our attention.
When the evening comes, she refuses to leave.
Being a visitor, she once again wears out her welcome.
By September, we are delirious, thinking that she'll never leave,
But then, she slams the door on her way out.

In October I'll miss her.

Sorry if this post is detail overload. For me, it's interesting to see where the bits and pieces were borrowed or stolen from to make a "new" song/lyrics......maybe it will help others see how songwriting doesn't have to depend so heavily on inspiration, but observation :roll: .....and perspiration :lol:

Thanks so much for taking the time to listen and post. It's much appreciated. :wink:

Cheers,

James

PS I know this is definitely overkill, but it might help some other songwriters to see the kinds of "notes" or "research" BEHIND THE SCENES APPROACH......If it's not helpful, don't bother reading further...... :wink:

Pull back the blueberry sheets of a brain freeze
I wipe my face with the back of my wrist

means lots of sticky mess from the frozen treats kids love so much
Break the ice
juice dripped on his cheek.
Darrell wiped his face with the back of his wrist.

Gonna build me a lemonade stand; sleep in a hammock outdoors
Take off all your clothes open summer and taste
Make your brother jealous by laughing right in his face.....
..but then decide to share some with him.

Take off all your clothes and race me to the shore
My heart is a pinwheel Ferris wheel

Wipe my face with the back of my hand
I'm seven years old again

My watch drips off my elbow and splashes on bare feet

Dripping off my chin

Chorus
Yeah I wanna be sun kissed
Cherry flavored sunsets
Melt too fast for me

Chorus
Cherry flavored summer
Melting too fast for me

I'm 7 years old again
Life's delicious and sweet

Summer cast your spell on me
jealous of the wind

Cherry flavored sunsets
Delicious and sweet

It's melting too quickly
And I; I'm 7 again

Bright red
And I; I'm 7 again

wipe my face with the back of my wrist.
My heart is a pinwheel spinning
Spinning
Nothing is better on a sizzling hot
summer day than slurping on one of these tasty treats. I have a special way I like to eat
mine. Let me share it with you.
First, I choose a bright red cherry flavored Popsicle and carefully peel back the
paper wrapper. Cherry is my favorite flavor. Sometimes I like to try other flavors like
grape or orange.
Second, I like to suck all the juice out of the top of the freezy treat. This makes it
turn white. This makes a lot of slurping noise, so I usually eat my Popsicles outside.
Third, I begin taking tiny bites from side to side of the Popsicle stick. When I get
towards the bottom, I have to take bigger bites because it is melting quickly. Sometimes
this makes my teeth hurt from the coldness of the Popsicle.
Now you know the special way I like to eat my Popsicle. Try it next time you are
devouring this tasty treat. Maybe you can share your special method with me sometime.

bright red cherry grape or orange.
Step 1: Take off all your clothes.
Step 2: Open popsicle and taste
Step 3: Make your brother jealous by eating the popsicle right in his face.....
..but then decide to share some with him.
Step 4: Figure out how to get that last bite of popsicle
(note: He wasn't able to figure out how to get that last bite...it ended up on the ground)
Step 5: Clean Up (and work off the sugar high)!
means lots of sticky mess from the frozen treats kids love so much
first you must remove the wrapper.
It was melting too fast to be enjoyed
it starts dripping all over my hand.
But the coldness of the ice flash-freezes my tongue.
some of the juice dripped on his cheek.
Darrell wiped his face with the back of his wrist.
& I'm 7 yrs old again.
Yeah delicious and sweet I wanna be sun kissed out in
While the summer runs down my arm
drips off my elbows and splashes one bare feet
running off in flip flops
It's time to break free
I just bite off a piece and then I get major brain freeze!
makes my teeth hurt from the coldness of the Popsicle
Strip off my flesh and sit in my bones
Sizzle
There's no ignoring summer time!
"I love Paris in the summer, when it sizzles."

All our testers loved the slow melt feature,

Chocolate hedonistic indulging your five senses.
may call you spoiled, but your simply the type of person who knows what they want.
You have sophisticated tastes. You like sweet things as much as the next person, but you don't like cheap treats.

Lime Flavored Popsicle
crazy - even if it means getting in trouble. taste for the edgier things in life. too much sass and spunk to ever behave.
Coconut Flavored Popsicle a time to kick back a peaceful soul

Blueberry Flavored Popsicle very unusual person adventure and travel. mind is always sharp and working at full capacity. You seek out new and different experiences. You get bored very easily.
You are very creative. Of all of the types, you're the most likely to invent a new popsicle.

Mango Flavored Popsicle a very playful person. undying energy. You're up for anything at anytime, as long as fun is involved. You're a true kid at heart. You enjoy a popsicle as much as a trip to the amusement park.

Pinwheel
Kiss on the beach
Laughing in lawnchairs with friends
Sun umbrella
Hammock
Ferris wheel
Walk on the beach
Bikini
Shells in sand
Rows of flowers
pineapple
splashing in the lake
summer dreams
popsicle
swimming pool
bouncing my open-toed sandal against my heel

‘'''''''''''''
Yeah delicious and sweet I wanna be sun kissed out in
While the summer runs down my arm
drips off my elbows and splashes one bare feet
running off in flip flops
It's time to break free
Strip off my flesh and sit in my bones
Sizzle
There's no ignoring summer time!

http://quotelicious.com/quotes/summer-quotes.php
Belly tops, flip flops
Lemonade, in the shade
Blue skies, hot guys,
Late nights water fights,
Ice creams, sweet dreams,
Bathing suits, shooting hoops,
Party time, schools out,
Sleeping in,sneaking out
Summer's coming...
Summer oh ten, let it begin.

Summer is where the girls go barefoot and their hearts are just as free as their toes.

A life without love is like a year without summer.
-- Swedish Proverb

A single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows.
-- St. Francis of Assisi

Be like the flower, turn your face to the sun.
-- Kahlil Gibran

Breathless, we flung us on a windy hill, laughed in the sun, and kissed the lovely grass.
-- Rupert Brooke

Celebrate Summer - Sun drenched days and starlit nights...
-- Gooseberry Patch

Colored scents that fill the air as drowsy insects hum around in the meadow is the place of secret magic where nature alone renews itself.
-- Kate Bergquist

Dirty hands, iced tea, garden fragrances thick in the air and a blanket of color before me, who could ask for more?
-- Bev Adams

Heat, ma'am! it was so dreadful here, that I found there was nothing left for it but to take off my flesh and sit in my bones.
-- Sydney Smith

I know that if odour were visible, as colour is, I'd see the summer garden in rainbow clouds.
-- Robert Bridges

Summer afternoon - summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language.
-- Henry James

Summer is delicious. [rain is refreshing, wind braces up, snow is exhilarating; there is no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.
-- John Ruskin

A perfect summer day is when the sun is shining, the breeze is blowing, the birds are singing, and the lawn mower is broken. ~James Dent

Hot, hot, sizzling summer! Use these summer quotes for your scrapbooks, memory books, greeting cards and letters.
Fun time is here again as your kids dash out in bikinis, holding bucket and spade in hands, lapping on loads of sunblock lotion and running off in flip flops in a carefree manner.
After being trapped with indoor activities for months, now it's the time to break free and bask in the warm sunshine! There's a burst of activities everywhere. Kids swimming in the rivers, beaches and swimming pools... Adults fishing, reading, and picnicking... And naturally, there'll be barbecue invitations too.
And what else come to mind as you think of summer? Oh, eating an ice-cream to cool down the heat when it gets too hot, getting out your lawn mower and once again mowing your lawn, and a treating your eyes to blooming flowers everywhere. Not forgetting tanned skin, squinting eyes and sweaty bodies.
There's no ignoring summer time! Summer is definitely a strong and commanding season, where it leaves many traces of its presence.
Enjoy the sunshine while it lasts! And have fun with these summer quotes!

Summer is where the girls go barefoot and their hearts are just as free as their toes.
official beer of the summer!
WHOOOOO ! I THINK summer HAS COME EARLY
I really wait my summer holidays. Then I'll can go to village, meet my cousin and do much more fine things. Ow faster it would come
i looooooooove the summer weather..:D
healthy and fit for summer?
But rain tuesday so drop out the summer talk were
If I ever get so big I can't even wear shorts in summer Ima cry and sign up for fat camp
futuresband make me so excited for the summer
MY hand that is. summer is my favourite day of the year.
Wine tastes so much better in the summer!
summer slows me down
I'd say it was one of a hell summer vacation!
Sunday summer soulful jams!!
SOME summer CLOTHES
Pinwheel
Kiss on the beach
Laughing in lawnchairs with friends
Sun umbrella
Hammock
Ferris wheel
Walk on the beach
Bikini
Shells in sand
Rows of flowers
pineapple
splashing in the lake
summer dreams
popsicle
swimming pool

Summer Is My Best Friend
Potent Summer
Summer In An Elevator
Summer All Over My Face
Summer Is Changing
Summer On Steroids
Summer In A Can
Check Out The Summer
Summer Battle
Automatic Summer
Summer Without You
Repeating Summer
Repeating Summer
Summer Just Keeps Getting Better
Summer Is Knocking At My Door
Summer On The Phone
Summer In Slow Motion
The Point Of Summer
Summer In The Pants
Can Of Summer
Summer Urges
Summer Heart
Summer Doubts
Summer Anomalies
Summer Riot
Summer Hour
Summer Intentions
Summer Thoughts
Summer Surprises
Summer Femme
Everybody Needs Summer
Raking In The Summer
Summer Is Nothing
Summer On The Rebound
Automatic Summer
Summer Don't Give A Shit
When It Comes To Summer
Smells Like Summer
It Sure Ain't Summer
Summer Will Kill You
The End Of Summer
Sweet Summer
Summer Reinterpreted
Summer Rain Storm
Summer Is Free
Summer Is Too Damn Hard
Hey! Its Summer
I Spy Summer
Summer In The City
Summer And All That
Brazen Summer

5 Dollar Summer
Step Away From The Summer
Violent Summer
Careless Summer
Careless Summer
Illegal Summer
Brazen Summer
Dark Summer
100mph Summer

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member

:shock: oh my. :lol:

no, but seriously, it's interesting to see your (extensive, i daresay :wink: ) research /following your trace from bits to song :D especially liked the bit about connecting character traits to ice cream flavours, reminds me of all the ridiculous tests in children's (or teenagers' (or adults')) magazines :lol: ice cream flavours is way more classic though :D nicely taken up on in the lyrics, as well!
my "straycat" thinking cap :lol:

thanks for pointing out the other interpretation of pool bottoms and bothering to explain the other lines, too! :D
and for quoting that fine little summer poem.

cheerio!
off to taste the summer now.. :lol:
straycat.

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

ReplyQuote